Chapter 6

I hadn't really seen much of the city since I moved back. And I didn't remember a lot from when I was a child either, so I decided to do a little tour.
I walked down the Walk of Fame, saw the Hollywood sign, and went to Santa Monica State Beach. Basically, everything that came up when I googled "LA sights".
We were just about to go on to the next thing on my list when Henry, the driver Jackson had sent me, received a call.

"Yes, Sir. Of course, Sir. No, she is
fine. I understand. I apologize, Sir.
We're on our way," He said and hung up.
"What's wrong? Who called?" I asked when I saw his worried expression.
"Mr. Jackson has requested for you to return to the house. Immediately," His tone was clipped but I could hear that he was trying to hide his fear and perhaps his anger.
"I'm so sorry, Henry. I didn't want you to get in trouble. I just wanted to have some fun."
I felt guilty, I hadn't meant to get him in any trouble.
"We need to leave." He opened the door for me and I quietly sat down. I didn't hear what my brother said, but I could see from Henry's face that he must have been angry.
Before Jackson had called, Henry had been talking to me nonstop but now he wasn't talking at all.
The fact that an 18-year-old could scare a grown man like that was weird enough but of course, Jackson was kind of his boss.
Well, I was kind of his boss too so that didn't have to mean anything.
Henry didn't talk to me the whole drive back and barely seemed to acknowledge my existence.
"We're here," He said when the car stopped. I got out of the car and immediately saw the front door open.
Jackson, Liam, Tyler, and my father marched down the steps and towards us. Their faces all bore the same emotion: Anger.
"What the hell were you thinking?"
"I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.. I mean you guys were at practice and I wanted to see a bit of the city," I tried to justify myself.
Their presence was more than intimidating at that moment and while I did not scare easily even I had to admit to myself that having them tower over me like that made me feel quite helpless.
"You didn't call nor text, no one knew where you were! We thought you jumped in some stranger's car and-," He sighed "Doesn't matter. You don't just vanish for a few hours, next time you wanna go somewhere you ask. Is that clear?" Jackson said.
"Fine. Whatever."
"I don't have the nerves to discuss this with you right now but we'll talk later about this," My father said, a bit calmer now.
"Fine but-."
"No but. Go inside, I'm sure you have some school work to do."
"I don't. I finished everything in school."
"When?" Tyler seemed skeptic.
"Well, I did some homework in my lunch break and the rest in English."
"And your English homework?"
"If she gave us homework she would have to correct it. I guess she just doesn't wanna do that."
"Mrs. Grunwald?" Liam asked amused.
"Yeah."
"I had her last semester but dad made me transfer out of her class," He looked a little annoyed "It's easy A's," He explained.
"We can talk about that later, alright? Now go. All of you," He pointed at the door "I have to take care of this but you're not
of the hook, young lady."
"Just don't take it out on Henry, please. I lied to him about telling you. He thought I had your permission."
"Good to know. But what happens to my employees is none of your business."
I frowned and was about to comment on this but Liam gently pulled me with him to the house.

Back inside I quickly fled to my room and facetimed Marcus.
"So how are you holdin' up?"
"Well," I stated "No one has died yet, so that's nice," I shrugged.
"Kenna," He rolled his eyes.
"You used to have humor, you know?" I teased.
"And you used to be less annoying."
I stuck out my tongue.
"C'mon, be serious for a second. How's it going with your family?"
"Not that great, but it could be worse I guess. They're like the most stereotypical dudes I've ever seen. Rich handsome white guys who don't care about anyone but their own."
"You've been there for two days, Kenna. Give them some time. You'll need to get used to each other again. It won't be easy but I hope they will be the family you need."
I sighed.
"I wish I could've just stayed with you guys."
"I know, believe me so do I. But the judge made their decision and there's not much we can do as long as they don't abuse you."
"Even then," I bit my tongue "My father's filthy rich, I doubt there's anything I could do against him."
"Well, I'd get some of the guys and we'd come kidnap you."
"I'd pull a mom," I laughed "Run off with one kid and travel across half the country before settling down in good old Detroit."
"Your mom's a badass," He chuckled.
"Yeah," I chuckled softly "She was. I don't know how she did it. Just start from scrap, barely any money, no job and she knew no one. And she somehow built a life for us that didn't completely suck."
"She was pretty awesome," I smiled sadly.
"Yeah, she was," Marcus agreed "Look, I gotta go but keep me updated okay?"
"Yeah, of course. Love you," I waved to the camera.
"Love you too, Kenny. Take care."