Chapter 65

It was Friday night, almost a week after Chuck's birthday. So much had happened that night, I had forgotten about one significant thing.
Luckily that thing showed up at my door that night.
"KENNAA. GET DOWN HERE." Jackson yelled from downstairs.
I groaned and made my way to him.
"What?"
"You know these girls?" He showed me a video with three girls on it dressed like they'd just gotten out of a club.
"Who's that?" I raised my eyebrow at him.
"You tell me," he shrugged "They're at the gate."
"Right now?" I frowned "Lemme see."
I grabbed the phone and took a closer look.
"Of course," I scoffed "This is just perfect!"
"Do I let them in or no?"
I thought about it. What kind of person would I be if I let these seemingly very drunk girls wander around in a city they didn't know.
I sighed "Let them in."

"Who are they?" Jackson asked when we waited for them to come to the front door.
"Some people I knew back in Detroit."
"You okay?"
"Fine." I answered monotonously.
"Kenna.."
"I said I'm fine."
"Okay." He threw his hands up.
The doorbell rang and I opened the door.
Maya immediately fell into my arms.
"I MISSEDDD YOUUU!" She slured.
I groaned „Why are you here?"
„I wanted to see youu." She tapped her finger on my forehead.
I sighed again. How did she even know where we lived?
"C'mon you can sit down in the living room," Jackson gently herded them towards the couch while I went to the kitchen to get some water and bread.
"What are you doing here, Maya?" I asked here as I sat down next to her.
"Towld ya," she answered with her mouth full of bread „I wamma tawk to you."
„You haven't talked to me in months. Why now?"
„I don't know" she had finally swallowed the bread „I just had to see you."
„You aree such a slut," Amanda slured from the other end of the couch.
„Of course, thanks for reminding me."
I groaned. I could've just left them outside but nooooooo. I had to fuckin invite them in.
„Don't you have a curfew or something?"
„Ahhh fuck that."
I rolled my eyes.
„You may live here now but you're still a pathetic street rat," Amanda whispered „You might've fooled the people here but you and I both know who you really are."
„You know nothing about me, Amanda."
„Oh you know that's not true," She smiled evilly „I saw you with Nate Davis. Is that what you do now? Whoring around for attention? But at least you're finally over bullet boy, huh?"
I grit my teeth.

I got up and fled into the kitchen. I laid my head in my hands and cried. I hated how helpless she made me feel. I hated that she still had that effect on me.
Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and I quickly wiped a tear from my cheek before I turned around.
„Who are they really?" Jackson asked me softly.
„Chrissy and Amanda used to bully me in highschool. It's fine. I can handle it." I quickly assured him.
He shook his head and pulled me into his arms.
„I'll get someone to drive them to their hotel."
I nodded silently and rested my head against his chest. He held onto me with one arm and searched for his phone with the other.
„Jones? Yeah, it's me. I need a car upfront in 5. Right, thanks." He hung up.
„I'll get them to tell me where they live and they'll be gone in no time, alright?" He kissed the top of my head.
„Thank you."

It took a while but after 10 minutes Jackson finally got them to leave and closed the door behind them.
„You should've told me. I wouldn't have let them in." He shook his head.
„I couldn't just leave them out there, something could've happened."
„You are too good for this world," He sighed and smiled „But that's so stupid." I laughed.

I spent the evening talking to Jackson. He tried to get me to talk about Detroit and the bullying but I preferred he didn't know anymore than he already did. And he didn't push it.
Jackson and I fight a lot, we do.
But in moments like these I realize how lucky I am to have him and the others. Our family was complicated and messy, but when it mattered, they were there.
I fell asleep on the couch with a smile on my lips, all the tears on my face had dried up and all my problems lay forgotten.
And that's what matters.

Here some soft sibling content for you. It's been so long I'm sorry I had a total writer's block.