Chapter 11

"We were in an accident..."

"Mooomm turn that off!" I laughed, she was playing Forever Young again, for about the 100th time that today.
"I love this song!" She protested happily and started singing along.
"Let us die young or let us live forever, we don't have the power but we never say never! Sitting in a sandpit life is a short trip!"
"How can you still listen to it? You haven't played anything else in over an hour," I laughed.
"Good songs must be enjoyed thoroughly!"
I shook my head and giggled. I secretly enjoyed listening to her, even if I had heard it a million times before. Her voice was so beautiful it didn't even matterz
"C'mon babygirl. SING."
"Never!" I laughed and turned my head to the front.
"MOM WATCH OUT!"

Everything was black.
Pitch black.
My head felt like it was about to explode.
A low humming in the back of my mind pulled me back to consciousness.
The humming turned into the sound of sirens and I slowly opener my heavy eyes.
It took me a moment to focus.
I turned my head and saw my mother hanging in her seatbelt, her bleeding head on the steering wheel, the airbag hadn't worked.
"Mom?" I cried, but she didn't move "MOM?"
"No no no no," I didn't even notice that I was sobbing until my vision was clouded by the tears.
I reached over to feel her puls but I couldn't reach her. My seatbelt was jammed and wouldn't let me move.
"Mom please," I sobbed "HELP. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE."
"Hey! Hey, I'm here. You're not alone anymore. What's your name?" A voice outside my broken window asked.
"Kenna. Please help my mom, she's dying," I sobbed and reached for her again.
"My friends here are working to get you and your mom out of that car as fast as possible, okay? But I need you to keep talking to me, deal? I'm David."
"Okay," I nodded and wiped my tears, even though he couldn't really see me.
"Are you bleeding?"
"Only a little," I touched my head which had hit the window during the crash.
"Where?"
"The side of my head."
"Are you hurt anywhere else?"
"My chest hurts when I breathe," I added and looked down at my body "My wrist is broken I think, it's really swollen."
"Does it hurt badly?"
"No, I can handle it."
"Okay, tell me when that changes. Now your mom, how's she looking? Can you see any injuries?"
I swallowed down another sob and tried to concentrate.
"Her head hit the steering wheel, it's bleeding a lot," I took a shaky breath "She doesn't look like she's breathing. What do I do? Please, I need to help her but my seatbelt won't move."
"We're gonna help your mom in a second, I need you to sit tight and move as little as possible, okay?"
"Please hurry."

"Okay, we're going to get you out now. It's going to be really loud so don't be scared, it won't last long. This will all be over soon."