Chapter 66

Since the night Maya and the others had shown up at our house, she had tried to contact me multiple times but I didn't respond. She knew how much Amanda had hurt me and she brought her into my home anyway. Well, I let them in but still.
It was sad how someone that used to be my best friend could turn into a stranger.
But if I was honest with myself, she had been a stranger for a while now.
On the plus side, my brothers were giving me a lot more freedom. I couldn't make a connection as to why they were suddenly so relaxed, but I didn't really care.

I entered the coffee shop and breathed in the dusty warm air. It was a popular place to eat so it was always really crowded, but the coffee was worth it.
I got in line for my coffee and let my eyes swing across the room for a possible seat. That's when I spotted Eric, a short boy from my french class. He was a pretty shy guy but I had gotten to talk to him a few times. At the table next to him I noticed a couple guys from the basketball team, some of which were friends with Tyler. They were laughing at something when Peter noticed me looking and gave me a small wave. I smiled at him and turned back to the barista as it was almost my turn.
When I held my coffee in my hands I steered in Eric's direction.
„Hey, can I sit with you, Eric?" I gave him a small smile.
„Of course!" He grinned and quickly moved his books to make space for me.
„Thanks."
I noticed that the basketball guys were watching us and had gotten unusually quiet.
I started chatting away with Eric when I suddenly felt a presence behind me, Eric seemed to have noticed too because he stopped talking mid-sentence.
I felt a hand on my shoulder and rolled my eyes, what's with guys and their need to
always touch you?
„Hey Kenna, you wanna come sit with us?" Peter asked me.
„No, I'm good thanks." I turned my head to look at them, they didn't seem happy with that answer.
"You really wanna sit with a fuckin' victim like Edward here?" Brody scoffed and pushed against Eric's shoulder.
"Yes, I much prefer Eric's company over that of some bullies, thank you very much."
Eric didn't look up he just stared at the table and kept his head down.
"Suit yourself," Peter said through gritted teeth and retreated to their table.
Brody however grabbed my arm roughly and whispered in my ear "Be careful who you hang out with, people might start thinking you're one of them."
"I'd rather be one of them than to ever be one of you."
He scoffed and pressed me against his chest tightly to whisper in my ear "You're already one of us, always have been. You think you're so different but you're not," he paused to look me into the eyes „If you weren't Blake's baby sister this wouldn't end so nicely."
"Are you threatening me?" I glared at him.
„Oh no, I would never do that," he said innocently „Just a warning. Not everyone is as understanding as me. Be careful who you mess with " He smirked.
„Take your gorilla hands of me and leave or I'll show you who not to mess with." I snapped at him.
He chuckled and let go of me.
„You're cute, Blake." He patted my shoulder and went back to his friends.

"Th..Thanks." Eric whispered.
"Hey, you wanna grab this to go? I really don't want to stay here." I told him.
He nodded and we grabbed our stuff and
left the shop.
As soon as we were outside I took a deep breath and kicked against the concrete wall in frustration.
"I'm sorry you had to endure him," Eric said shyly.
„It's not your fault." I assured him.
"He wouldn't have done that if you hadn't stuck up for me."
"I just fucking hate that he can just do that!" I threw my empty coffee cup on the ground and smashed it with my foot.
"I know.." Eric stared at the ground again.
Without thinking I rammed my fist into a tree trunk. And again. And again. Until my knuckles started bleeding and Eric managed to pull me away.
„The tree didn't do anything."
„I know!"
„You're angry."
„I KNOW."
„Maybe you should try to calm down."
I sighed as he grabbed my hand and pulled me to a nearby bench.
„You okay?" He asked softly.
„I'm sorry."
He laughed „For what are you sorry now?"
„He wouldn't have come if I hadn't been there. I saw how you tensed up."
„He would've come anyway and he wouldn't have been so nice."
"He bullies you much, huh?"
"I'm used to it."
„It will get better."
„I know."
"If he bothers you again, tell me. I'm sure Brody would gladly take the tree's place."
He chuckled.
"Thanks, Kenna."
„Anytime."