Chapter 15

"If I ever see you near my sister again, you're gonna regret it," Jackson whispered to Kyle so Miss Campell wouldn't hear it.
"Oh i never regret spending time with her." He smiled innocently, only to provoke Jackson even more.
"Kyle, stop it."
"Kyle?" Jackson mocked me "Are you friends with him?" He scoffed.
"God! When will you get it? It's none of your business who I'm friends with."
"Are you really that fucking stupid?! Hunter doesn't want to be friends with you he's just trying fuck you to get back at me!" He yelled right in my face.
I felt my eyes starting to tear up but I wouldn't cry this time. Not in public.
"Yes Jackson, because I'll always be your stupid little sister. That's all you'll ever see in me isn't it?"
"Kenna that's not what I said," He strained his jaw.
"Yeah well, it's what you meant."
I took a deep breath to stay calm.
"I don't even know why I bother to talk to you anymore. You always end up screaming at me."
I got up and walked to the door.
"Wait, you're not done!" Miss Campell protested.
"Yes. I am."
I ignored her confused look and left the office.
I ran outside and already felt the tears running down my face.
I felt so alone in that moment, I didn't have anyone left to talk to here.
So I grabbed my phone and called Maya, my best friend from home.
We had talked very few times since I moved here, which was unusual for two people who used to talk everyday but she had told me to call whenever I needed her and right now I needed her more than anything.

"Hello?"
I sighed, it felt good to hear her voice again.
"Maya? It's me, Kenna. Can you talk right now?"
"Uhm... Not really, is it important? I'm out with friends."
"Who are you talking to May?" I heard Amanda ask.
Why was she hanging out with her?
"Kenna," Maya answered hesitantly.
"Ugh! Why are you talking to that Loser?" Larissa sounded as if she was disgusted by the very thought of me.
"Kenna, I'm sorry I have to go. But take care okay?" Maya said and hung up before I could say anything.
Great to see that I could rely on her, I thought. So much for best friends.

I decided to skip school and went to the mall. I'm not usually the "Give me some new clothes and be happy" kinda girl, but a few new pieces wouldn't hurt.
With my unlimited credit card armed, I went to all the cute and fashionable stores and let the shop assistant hand me one outfit after the other.

When I left the mall I was packed with bags and shoe cartons full of new clothes, jewellery and shoes.
I called an uber and got home before the boys did.
"May I help you, Miss?" One of the security guards asked and grabbed a few bags that were daring to fall off.
"Oh yeah, thank you," I smiled.
He helped me bring the stuff to my room and then went back to his post.
"What the fuck happened to me?" I whispered to myself looking at all the stuff I just bought.
My phone rang; Jackson.
"Hello?" I answered the phone.
"Where are you? I'm waiting at the car." He replied.
"I'm already home."
"What do you mean you're already home, school just ended."
"Uhm yeah, my last class was cancelled because the teacher was sick so we were allowed to go home."
"What teacher?"
"Uh I think it was Mr Barlon."
"I'll see you at home then."
I hung up.
My heart was racing like crazy. Lying wasn't exactly my strong suit.
I stared at the pile of clothes that was covering the floor.
"What the hell am I doing?" I sighed and gathered everything to stuff it into the closet.
I had never spent so much money in my entire life, or skipped class for that matter. Spending all that money felt wrong, when I knew how much some people were struggling to make it work. How much we used to struggle.

"What the hell were you thinking?!"
And that's how it sounds when your father finds out you were skipping class.
"Why would you skip school?  Don't you care about your education?"
He actually sounded like concerned father for once. Maybe something good would come out of this, I thought, as he kept talking about how important school was for my future.
"I get it,okay? I'm not stupid. I skipped class once, it's not gonna happen again."
He looked a bit taken aback by my reaction, like he expected me to fight him on this.
"Good. But if you know better why did you still do it?"
Yeah, why did I do it?
Was it because my brother just yelled at me and told me I was stupid? Or was it because the only real friend I made here was probably just trying to get laid? Or maybe because my 'best friend' was hanging out with my bullies and didn't care about me anymore?
"I don't know," I shrugged.
I looked at Jackson and saw the guilty look on his face. Maybe he really did feel bad about our fight.

Vote and comment!