Chapter 76

"So," Jackson glanced at me "What's going on between you and golden boy?"
I rolled my eyes and sighed.
"I don't know." I stared at the road.
"You like him?" He raised his eyebrow at me.
"I don't know."
"Well, what do you know?"
"That you're an annoying brat."
He chuckled and shook his head.
"I won't beat him up if you do," He mumbled while keeping his eyes strictly on the road.
"Is that so?" I smirked.
"If he hurts you, I will. Obviously."
"Obviously," I chuckled "So you like him?"
"As much as I can like a guy that wants to date you," He shrugged "Considering your previous crushes I think he's a darn good upgrade. And to be honest I'm just glad you finally let go of that Hunter thing."
I swallowed. My eyes bore into the seat.
"You are over it, right?"
I glanced at him and quickly nodded.
"Mmhmm."
"Say it."
"What?" I frowned at his harsh tone.
"Say that you're over it."
"I'm over it. Chill." I avoided his eyes and crossed my arms in front of my chest.
"Sorry. I just want to make sure you don't fall back into old habits."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Sneaking around, lying to us..."
"You're paranoid that's all," I scoffed.
"Kenzie.."
"Don't Kenzie me. Just trust me, okay?"

I felt a little guilty about lying to him like that. Obviously, I wasn't completely over it. But there could never be anything between me and Kyle so what good would it do if he knew? He would just go crazy again, for no reason.

Jackson told the others about the awkward goodbye between Nate and me so Tyler wouldn't stop teasing me about it for days.
To make it even worse he'd overheard me talking to Katie about Nate which gave him even more motivation to torment me.

"Does little Kenzie have a crush?" He puckered his lips and pretended to be a swooning girl.
"Shut it, before I punch you," I rolled my eyes and pushed him away.
He laughed and threw himself on my lap.
"Oh he's just sooooo handsome!"
I punched him in the stomach which only made him laugh harder. I tried at pushing him off me but he just kept rolling back like a fat wheezing seal.
"God, fuck off," I groaned as he grinned at me triumphantly.
"I'm just teasing, c'mon," He grinned and tried at pinching my arm but I caught his hand and twisted it until he cursed and struggled out of my grasp.
"Well, that's not very nice."
I glowered up at him as he was dusting himself off after having fallen on the floor.
He chuckled as I raised my middle finger and turned back to the TV, that ironically played Starstruck. I frowned and turned it off.
"You're seventeen, act like it, you goof." I groaned as he resumed his seal-like position on my lap.
"Oh, you want me to go threaten him? I can still do that-" He pretended to get up and walk out to do that before I caught his arm "I prefer this, nevermind."
He grinned and ruffled my hair. I tried slapping his hands away but he was very determined to be very annoying.
"God, what's come over you today?"
"I'm just happy, am I not allowed to be happy?"
"You're suspiciously happy."
He snorted and rolled his eyes.
"Don't worry 'bout it," He grinned and kissed the top of my head before finally letting me go. I narrowed my eyes but he didn't say anything more so I hurried out of the room before he decided to keep on with his teasing.

"I'm just fuckin' confused, okay?" I complained as Katie and I sat on a bench outside the school.
"Oh poor Kenna," She made a pouty face "Has two hot guys chasing after her! How could you ever choose?" She sighed dramatically "You know I hate you, right?"
I laughed as she glared at me teasingly.
"Trust me, I know. If I had to listen to this I would've probably punched me by now."
"Yeah, I've considered that myself," She admitted and I bumped her shoulder as we both laughed.
"I'm sorry. I don't mean to be this whiny. It's just really screwing up my brain."
"You know, I'm kidding, right? I'll listen to your bullshit all day, every day. Gladly. That's what best friends are for."
I smiled and nodded. Katie really was the best friend anyone could wish for. And I felt terrible for not spending as much time with her lately.
"We should go out this weekend," I said suddenly "We haven't done that in a while."
"Like a party?"
"Yeahh! We'll go to your house and get ready together and then get drunk till we pass out."
She grinned.
"Ohhhh this is going to be great! You know, I heard Parker Wenston is gonna throw a party since his parents are outta town, I can totally get us in."
"Yeah, ask him." I smiled as she got really excited and started talking about what she was going to wear and that we had to go shopping before.

Friday night, Liam drove me to Katie's house while giving me the usual don't do anything stupid speech.
"And be careful!" He yelled as I walked up to the gate "And don't get into a car with anyone!"
"I GOT IT," I yelled back and rolled my eyes.

Katie was already in full bitch mode when I arrived and started commanding me around while she did her makeup.

"Did you meet that hot exchange student yet?" She squealed "I heard he's from Spain or something. I hope he's coming tonight."
"Ohh, I see. So that's why we're going," I smirked at her "So you're planning to abandon me?"
"Whaaat? Nooooo," But she grinned as she said it "We'll see."

Team Nate or Team Kyle?