Chapter 60

"I'm sorry," Katie fell into her seat next to me "I didn't mean to be rude. I just thought you were acting really weird."
"I'm not acting weird. Something horrible happened to us. Things changed."
She nodded. I knew she only meant well so I couldn't be mad at her.
"I wish everyone would just stop staring at me," I grunted and rolled my eyes at the rest of the class.
"That kinda stuff doesn't happen every day. And with your family's social status and your brothers' popularity... I meaaan.."
"Yeah, I get it. Still, they could at least do it secretly."
She smirked and shrugged.
"Morning, class! How's it going?" Ms. Marin asked as she walked in.
I had transferred classes and was now in Katie's class with a young (very quirky) women for a teacher.
"Ohh! Kenna! How lovely to have you back! We were all so worried about you, it's been a storm of rumors around here about what
happened." She said and smiled brightly.
I forced a smile.
"Why don't you tell us what really happened?" A girl I didn't know asked:" So we don't spread anything wrong." She forcibly smiled, such a noisy bitch that girl.
I stared at her and grit my teeth.
And while we're at it, why don't we explore the rest of my traumas and talk about my mom's death or the people I witnessed dying.
"If you're comfortable, you could tell the class. People are talking anyways, it's better if at least some know the truth," Ms Marin said "But only if you're comfortable."
I took a deep breath, the cuts on my stomach becoming more present again.
"Some men tried to rob our house. Tyler and I got hurt in the process. That's it," I half-lied.
"What happened to you?" The girl from before asked again "Tyler was shot, we all know that? But you don't even seem to be hurt."
"What? You think I made it up to stay home from school or something?" She shrugged "I was cut. They sliced open my skin to torture me. Is that what you wanted to hear?? Or do you want to see the wounds maybe?" I snapped at her.
"Kenna.." Katie mumbled.
I was fuming. Some people just didn't know how to mind their own business.
I crossed my arms in front of my chest and stared down on the table in front of me for the rest of the lesson.

I grabbed lunch at the cafeteria with Katie and looked for a place to sit. We were late, as always, so most tables were full.
„Hey there," Liam playfully boxed me in the shoulder "Are you gonna sit with us?"
"Yeah, I guess," I answered and we followed him to the table.
The boys scootched over to make space for us.
I sat down next to Jackson with Katie on my right.
"How's your first day going?" Jackson asked.
"I prefer the hospital," I said and grabbed a fry from his plate "I hate humans."
"You are a human."
"You don't say."
"Seriously, what happened?"
"I fucking hate people." Tyler slammed his lunch tablet on the table and fell down into the seat opposite me.
"Same," Katie and I chorused.
"I walked into Literature Class and these morons started fuckin' clapping! Congratulations, you didn't die."
„Wow, now my day doesn't seem that bad," I chuckled.
„Do tell," Liam said.
„I only had to explain what exactly had happened to me to about every class. One girl even asked me to show my stomach like suuree." I stabbed my salad angrily with the fork.
"Damn, not that nice either." Tyler gave me a little smile.
Tyler and I had started getting closer, closer even than Liam and I. Spending two weeks in one room 24/7 can do that to you, I guess.
"Hey bro," Caleb, one of Jackson's friends put down his tablet next to him.
"Sit somewhere else today and tell the others too. This table's full," Jackson ordered which made Caleb frown but he left nonetheless and left us alone.
"You don't need to keep everyone away from us, you know?" I pushed against him.
"They can sit with us tomorrow. No one needs to be listening to these conversations. It's private."

School didn't end soon enough and I basically sprinted out of the building when it rang.

"Some friends are coming over later, you okay with that?" Jackson asked on our way home.
"Sure. It's not like I couldn't avoid you. The house is big enough." I chuckled.
"I'm serious, if you're not ready they're not coming."
"Noo, it's fine. What're you gonna do?"
"Just chill, we haven't really seen them in a while."
I nodded knowingly.
Jackson and Liam had spent every minute they could in the hospital with us. These weeks had been hard on them too, they deserved to have some fun.

I sat on the kitchen counter spooning a pot of ice cream, an old habit I had picked up again.
The doorbell rang and I jumped down from the counter and went to open the door.
The usual crowd of boys was standing in front of me; With some additions.
There were two girls I recognised as Cheerleaders with them.
"C'min," I said and opened the door wider for them "I'm gonna tell them you're here, wait." I called
Jackson to let him know they were here and showed them all to the living room.
„Hey, I'm Lucy. I don't think we've met," The blond girl smiled at me „That's Holly," She pointed at her friend.
„Kenna," I forced a smile „Nice to meet you."
The boys entered the room and greeted their friends which I took as my cue to leave.
"You're not staying?" Holly asked confused.
"Oh uhm.. Noo," I said "I'm not feeling to well."
„Oh. Well.. Get well soon," She smiled and I thanked her before I quickly went to my room.