Chapter 37: A Game

Voices from the outside got louder and the silence between Dwayne and I kept going on. He looked me into my eyes, searching for the truth in them. At that moment, I didn't cared what I'm actually about to do right now and how I was supposed to handle with it in the near future. But right now... right now I wanted to know. I wanted to know who Dwayne really was. Especially, what was hiding behind his shadows.

"Be careful Holly, you don't know to whom you're talking to-" His words, back in Palawan came back into my mind. I didn't knew it back then. I didn't knew anything about him. And even now, I still don't know him. Nothing.
Suddenly, he nodded and stepped out of the car. From now on, everything went by fastly.
Bright flashlights were flashing every millisecond, giving me a hard time to see clearly. A strong hand, held my hand firmly and helped me to step out of the car. I gave my best to look normal (which didn't actually worked well). Many paparazzis surrounded us and took enough pictures to feed a whole nation with it. It sounds ridiculous, but it's true! I started to have a hard time concentrating myself on standing well. We didn't stood there for long, really. But it felt like eternity, standing there.

'How are celebrities living like that every day?'

Dwayne gave me a delicate squeeze on my hand. Looking up at Dwayne, he stood in a great posture expressionless, looking at the paparazzis . Wow..., and what am I about to do?! Keeping up with him of course!

"Mr. Hammond, Mr. Hammond"

"Here Mr., Here!"

"Oh my gosh, I'm your biggest fan!"

"I love you so so much sir!"

"Right Here, Mr. Hammond!"

"Who's that girl, Mr. Hammond?"

All of these interviewers and paparazzis talked loudly and frequently, asking Dwayne a few questions. I didn't gave much attention at them and still gave my best to keep up with him. We were about to go inside the event, when suddenly a question from an interviewer took my attention.

"Is THAT your new girlfriend?"

That...THAT
I felt disgusted out at that second. Just because I was attending an event with a man as famous as Dwayne, doesn't mean you can call me that. It felt, as if my privacy was invaded and all my feelings were turned into wood. Just because I was standing and holding hands with Dwayne, he has no rights to call me like I was a piece of wood. No one, never. The second we went inside, I loosened the grip from Dwayne on my hands. I have to hold it in. It's been only a few seconds in his life. If i'm like this, right now, what will I be in the future? I have to stand up for the choices of my life. I can't go back, it's too late that. The paparazzis saw my face and took enough pictures to find me in every little space, this city has to offer.

"Good Morning sir and ma'm" A African man in a suit welcomed us, with a friendly smile. Smiling back, he handed me a little card with the initials of Dwayne. While he was doing it, Dwayne rested his hands on my back and walked into the event. Looking back at the man, I saw him giving me a little thumbs up and a wink. Giving him a little smile back, a door opened in front of us and a huge salon with bright lights and enormous many people looked up at us.

Immediate silence in the whole event. And everyone watched us. Even the DJ stopped the music. I know exactly, I know pretty less about Dwayne. But shutting down a whole event, with just stepping inside the room, is a whole another level!