Chapter 57: am I doing the right thing?

"Am I talking to Holly Beckett? If so, I'm Smith, Harold Smith."

Silence.

It was a male voice I definitely not heard once, but I needed a second, to realize who it was.

'It's the same voice from back then!' It's definitely him!'
Standing up, I walked directly to the bathroom and closed the door behind me.

"Who are you and why are you calling me this late at night!?"

"I think, I already told you who I-"

"-I wasn't referring to that. You know exactly what I mean!."

Giving out a light chuckle, he continued talking "You're just like him. Tomorrow at 9 pm on the same alley you saw us the last time" He said and hung off leaving me standing there speechless.

"T-The same alley you saw us the last time?" I mumbled silently to myself, just now realizing that they saw me that night.

'But why weren't one of them showing any signs of unwanted guests around them?' and why didn't I noticed someone watching me? Why did they let me go like that after I saw some of them with guns?

Looking to my right, I saw myself in the mirror, having a blank facial expression. 'how did he got my number and how am I supposed to face them? Do they think I saw something that no one outside their clan should've seen? Should I tell Dwayne? Should I even go there?'

Shaking off my thoughts, I quietly walked back to the living room and took a quick glance at the clock. Right now was 3 am. In other words, 42 hours till the meeting.

I have to go. If I don't go there, they will be searching for me.

The next day, I woke up uncomfortably looking over to Dereck and Hans, both of them looking down at me. Not knowing what to do or what to say, I remained in my position until one of them loosed their temper to get me right out of my bed.

The Breakfast went by pretty fast and we said our goodbye's before I headed to my work. As usual, it felt like the clock stopped working and hours felt like weeks. Especially today, the time was taking its time to do its work.

'keep a cool mindset, don't think about it. At least now'

27 Hours till the meeting

"You smell like a good hot cup of tea. Whatareyouhiding?!"

"N-NOTHING" I accidentally said out loud and immediately looked away.
'C‘ome on find a good lie to get yourself out of his gaze! Otherwise the whole building will know, that I'm hiding something important‘
"There's a rumour saying, that you're going on vacation this weekend!" I told him and gave one of my best fake interested facial expression to him.

"Hmm-" he looked intensely into my eyes and turned back to his computer "you know what, there is something I want to show you". A minute or two passed by and suddenly a song startet to play out loud from Josh's computer.
"Hold on, let me put it on 00:48 minute"

And then, not only did the song play out loud no, Josh even startet singing it and pointing his fingers at me.

It's a lie, a lie
I catch you every time
In your lies, your lies
Every time you close your eyes