Chapter 14

Aaron's POV

     One. One month. That's how long it's been since Ash got hit by that stupid car. She's in a coma. The doctors said if she doesn't wake up soon, they're pulling the plug. My heart keeps breaking. Erik has been crying. Seth too. Jade. Penny is on the inside, she's just better at hiding it. She's been supporting Jade through this like a good friend.  I just don't understand. It should've been me, not my little girl. How do I live with this? I should've been with her. I shouldn't have walked away and left Penny to get her. It's not Penny's fault, but I definitely feel like it's mine. I...I...

     "Please, Ash. Don't leave me, I love you..." Seth whispered loud enough for me to hear. "We all love you. Wake up..." I felt a tear roll down my cheek again. What if she doesn't wake up? None of us have been able to leave her room. We refuse to, just in case she wakes up, so I've been making cafeteria runs 3 times a day for food. Knowing I might lose her breaks me inside. Ash doesn't deserve this, she deserves to live a long, happy life. She's a wonderful person and if--when she wakes up, I'm not going to let her go. I won't let her get hurt again.

     I felt someone watching me. I turned to see Penny looking at me, her eyes full of pain, sorrow, and regret. "She's going to be okay. She has to be." I nodded, trying to believe it. "Anyone hungry? I'm going to the cafeteria," I spoke. "Just bring me a a plate of whatever they have," Seth answered. Everyone else nodded, meaning they wanted whatever too. I walked out the door, glancing at Ash one last time before trekking down to the cafeteria. I rode the elevator down to the first floor, taking a left and passing the front desk and gift shop. Once I arrived I grabbed a tray and some to-go plates, fixing everyone a plate. Thankfully none of us were overly picky. I fixed Penny a rootbeer, Seth a coke, Jade a water, Erik a mountain dew, and myself a sprite.

     The hardest part was balancing all of this on a tray so I could carry it back to Ash's room. As I entered I passed out the plates and drinks to everyone. We all sat down and began eating and drinking, all while keeping an eye on Ash. I can still picture her smile and her bright green eyes when she was in the mall with the girls. I can also picture the way Erik looked at her. It terrifies me. I guess I'd rather her be with him than Seth in a way. If her and Seth were to start fighting, I'd have to pick between my best friend and adopted daughter. Not happening.

     The doctor entered, a nurse checking Ash's vitals while he wrote something down. "2 weeks. That's how long she has. If she doesn't wake up within the next 2 weeks, we have no choice but to pill the plug on life support. I'm sorry." I heard Jade sniffle and I felt hot tears running down my own cheeks. I nodded, "Thank you, doctor." He left the room, a look of sympathy etched into his features. 2 weeks. That's all she has left. For the next 2 weeks I have to watch her lay there, looking pale and broken. For the next 2 weeks I have to live knowing she might not. I have to be prepared. I have to be strong. If she doesn't make it, one of us is going to have to hold everyone together to keep from going off the rails. 2 weeks.

     I watched as Erik held her hand, tracing circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. I smiled subconsciously. It was clear he cared for her. Sure, I wasn't thrilled about him dating her, but if it will make her happy, so be it. I guess I need to have a talk with him. "Erik, can I talk to you a moment?" I asked, nodding toward the door. He rose and followed me out of the room. "I can see how much you care for her. If you make her happy, then you have my blessing to date her. When she wakes up, if you're who she wants, I can accept that. Seth will have to get over it if that becomes the case. Nothing is more valuable to me than her happiness." He looks at me with slightly wide eyes, clearly not expecting this.

     "Thank you, Aaron. This means a lot. I won't let anything happen to her. She's too precious to me. I wish it were me in that bed instead of her. Fate works in mysterious ways."

A/N: haven't updated in nearly a month. Got inspired today. Had an idea. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter, it was mildly over 800 words without the A/N. I love you! Thank you to those who read, it means a lot to me.

X Chey