Chapter Five: Effect

Man I just love Jin so much I have so many art commissions to work on but here I am doing this instead

Chapter Five: Effect

I probably shouldn't have ignored Jin-oppa for the few hours after yelling at him, but I didn't know what there was I could say. I was embarrassed, and ashamed, and if I went to apologise (which I knew I would have to at some point) it would be super awkward to try and explain the whole issue. Because, even after the babysitter part of the rumour circulated, there were still people that were referring to him as my boyfriend. Super awkward.

"Ju-eunnie..." the soft knock on my door took me by surprise; I divebombed into my bed, burying my face in the pillow. I heard the door open. There was a moment of silence, and then, "Ju-eun-ah, don't ignore me." His voice was gentle, and I should have known he wouldn't leave it at that. He crossed the room, I could hear his footsteps, practically feel him looming over me. He patted my shoulder, and I shrank away from his touch. "Ju-eun, I'm sorry..."

I flinched, and sat up. I knew my face was very, very red. "What are you apologising for?" He looked surprised, pulling back at my sudden movement. "I flipped out at you and that was unfair. It's not your fault you look like that..." I slapped my hand to my face to hide the increasing redness, "Ah, I mean- high school girls are dumb. I shouldn't have taken it out on you." I peeped at him between my fingers. He was a little pink-cheeked, too. That made me feel better. "...sorry."

He cleared his throat. "Well, it's alright. It's unlike you to get so rattled, though. They must have been saying some crazy stuff."

"Ah- well- not really..." I mumbled- how could I tell him that the main bother to me was the misinterpretation of our relationship? The club first years, for example... they saw me as such a hard, determined person... their stares had been ones of admiration for "having such an attractive older man". "It was just normal rumours..."

"Let me guess... some thought I was your brother, some thought I was your dad- unrealistically, do I look that old?!" He paused, squinting at me then giving me a teasing grin, "And more thought I was your boyfriend?"

I flushed almost luminous red. He'd nailed it! Why would he say that?! Was he oblivious to how awkward that was?! He seemed greatly entertained by my embarrassment, laughing that damn windshield wiper laugh. "Shut up!"

"Ya, Ju-eun-ah, you're one thousand years too early to handle dating someone like me!" He laughed carelessly, enjoying mocking me as he ruffled my hair. I was beyond embarrassed. I felt about ready to explode. Instead, I settled for punching him. He just continued to laugh, "You could have just told them I was your brother, dummy! And maybe give the cuter girls a chance and bring them over."

"You creep!" I yelled, punching harder, and he began to yelp in pain between giggles. "You're the worst!"

"I can't help that teenage girls can't resist my charms!" He grinned, catching my wrists so I couldn't punch him anymore. "I was joking, joking. Calm down. And please don't bring any girls like that over. You're enough to handle on your own, Ju-eunnie. You're always swooning from my handsome face." He blew me a kiss, and naturally... I yanked his hand up to my mouth and bit him. He yelped.

When he let go of me in surprise I shoved him out of my room, slamming the door behind him. "Who'd wanna date you?! Those girls must be crazy!"

Quickly, I ran and vaulted up out of my window onto the roof. Not good, not good.

My heart was beating way too fast.

- - -

I snuggled into the bear that was on my desk happily. "Thanks, Hyunseo-ya. It's really soft!"

The black haired boy grinned. "I thought you'd like it. Anyone who pays attention to you knows that despite your looks you actually love girly things." He bragged, rubbing his nose. "I saw it and thought it was perfect. Happy birthday, Ju-eun-ah."

I hit him, lightly. "What do you mean, despite my looks?" But I couldn't help but smile. "Thanks." I was grateful to have such good friends. "You're still coming to the party on Friday though, right?"

"Yes, yeeess. Don't worry, I'll be there." He wiggled his eyebrows. "I wouldn't miss out on the opportunity to meet the infamous Car Door Guy."

I groaned. The rumours had finally dropped to less than infrequent, but my friends were all still keen to meet him. Especially Yun-ji, who I had told about the event and had been very put out that a bunch of random girls at my school had met him but I wouldn't let her. It didn't matter how much I insisted that they hadn't met him.

"Well you're going to be disappointed then because he's not going to be there." I scowled, "He's not working this Friday, it's his day off."

"Aww..." Yeon-il made her entry dramatically, as always, flopping down at her desk. "Well, what's the point of even going, then?"

"Fine, don't!" I huffed, "I don't want you coming if you only want to drool over Oppa anyway."

"Oppa?!" I flinched, realising what I'd done, "You call him oppa, huh?"

I glared at her, "Of course I do, he's older than me!"

Yeon-il narrowed her eyes wickedly, "But there's oppa and then there's oppa~..."

I knew what she was doing and refused to play along, so sat back in my chair with my arms folded. "Stop that. I told you we don't have that kind of relationship." I grumbled, annoyed. "He sees me like a little sister."

"Oho... is that so?" My annoying friend just wiggled her eyebrows, Hyunseo doing the same. "And how do you see him, Oh Ju-eun?"

I stood up, glaring as fiercely as I could, "Stop doing that! You'll make it awkward!" I sat back down, sulking. My friends were silent. Why was everyone trying to put such strain on me lately? I didn't want anything to change, my life was perfect the way it was.

My friends exchanged glances, but said nothing, and class began. As people filed into the room, I switched off my thoughts and focused on the lesson.

I was worried it was too late.

- - -

Oof