Chapter Eight: Worrisome

Just a PSA if u find any typos in this or the previous chapters= it's due to the fact that this is both unedited and written on an ipad that I bought recently. In the first couple chapters I was still getting used to the keyboard so like... gremlin writing. Sorry.

At some point I'll go back through and edit it so there aren't so many typos lol

Chapter Eight: Worrisome

I slung my backpack over my shoulder with a quick movement. I was leaving later than usual today; morning practice was cancelled due to Coach having come down with a cold, so all of us on the Volleyball team had gotten a lie-in. As such, it was already 7:30 before I left the house.

"Ya, make sure you eat what I packed for you! And the vegetables! Different coloured ones have different nutrients!" Seokjin called, head poking round the door. I reflected on the impression that an oppa should be cool, collected. Manly. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeeessss, eomma~" I teased, and he scowled at me jokingly, brandishing a wooden spoon with a grumbled "aish". I quickly slipped into my shoes and darted out the door.

"And drink lots of water!" He called after me, shortly before I shut the door. I'd forgotten what it was like to have somebody see you off- on the rare days when Oppa was here in the morning, he was rarely awake to see me leave. He had offered to drive me, but I insisted that I would be fine. I wanted to jog to school. I'd packed my uniform into my backpack with my lunch, and purposely left all my books in my locker.

It was too far to walk, but running cut down the time a large margin. Normally I'd take the train, but I'd left earlier than necessary on purpose. Club might be cancelled, but that didn't mean I'd let myself have the morning off. I'd eaten a lot over the weekend.

The rumours about "Car Door Guy" had finally died, to my relief, and school proceeded as normal. I managed to beg the keys to the gymnasium from my homeroom teacher, and decided I would spend a few hours after school practicing serves.

I was already boiling before I got to the gym, but when I began exercising I was positively soaked in sweat from the heat. I hardly noticed. I was focused on what I was doing. It had been a relatively cool morning, but the day had warmed a lot.

My palm stung as I swung at another ball, sending it spinning into the floor on the other side of the court. I grunted my frustration. That wasn't what I wanted it to do. It was supposed to swerve and drop just past the net.

"Unnie!" I jumped at the voice, my focus breaking, the ball I'd thrown up in the air to spike dropping and hitting the floor. I looked over, something in the pit of my stomach dropping as I saw Joohae standing there, grinning. She was sweating like crazy, too, panting. "Lemme join! I want to practice my receives!"

I just nodded, gesturing with my head for her to get on the court. I picked up the ball that was slowly rolling away from me. "You been running? In this?"

She laughed, pushing her hair up out of her eyes as she jogged onto the opposite side of the court to me. "I didn't feel right doing nothing today, but I didn't realise the gym was open."

"You're crazy." I grunted out as I fired a jump serve in her general direction. She swore and dove for it, a little too late. She gave me a look from where she skidded to a stop on the ground, and I grinned at her. "Did you expect me to go easy?"

"Ya, unnie, you call me crazy and then pull that face..." she grumbled, but her face told me she was up to the challenge. "And anyway, you're just as bad as me. You're sweating like crazy too."

She tossed the ball back, and rather than catching it like she intended, I ran and spiked it back over the net. She grimaced and whined, "Unnie! You're not being fair~~..."