Chapter Fourteen: Don't

Creepy dude on the bus just called me babe. Unless ur Kim Namjoon don't call me babe. This has been a PSA

//cue loads of inline comments calling me babe

Chapter Fourteen: Don't

It was the last day of school before the third years went on leave to study for exams. The sun had decided to make the day a real belter, and I was damp with sweat just walking from the train station to practice in the morning. It had made me sad. My last ordinary practice.

Of course, after exams were over I'd return, in preparation for the summer tournament, but it wouldn't be the same. That whole period would be tinged with sadness, for me.

Walking to the empty classroom my friends and I usually ate lunch in, I noticed a smallish group, probably about five or six, of girls crowded in the hallway. I frowned, noticing that they were first years and therefore shouldn't even be in this part of the school, but upon hearing the clamour decided I definitely couldn't be bothered with dealing with them. The teacher would deal with it. I shuffled on past them, only to be halted in my tracks by a voice.

"Noona!" I flinched, stuttering in my steps. Subtly, I glanced around. Definitely talking to me. I flexed my fingers- they were stiff from practice- and turned around.

Jungkook stared at me from in the middle of the group of girls. Momentarily, I paused, piecing together what was going on. From the lunchboxes in the girls' hands, they were fighting over who would eat lunch with him. I staved off the urge to roll my eyes.

"Jungkook-ah." I responded, somewhat shortly. His eyes were begging for assistance, but a large part of me wanted to leave him there. I couldn't seem to help the inherent annoyance I felt for him. His upper lips twitched, eyes wide. He looked like a startled animal. I sighed, and closed my eyes. "What are you all doing hanging around the third year classrooms?"

"What does it matter to you?" The girls were staring at me coldly. Wow, okay. "We just want to eat lunch with Jungkook-oppa."

Suddenly united against a common foe (me), the other girls nodded. I sighed again. "I don't especially care about that." My face screwed up in annoyance, "Ya, have some manners, though? I'm your elder."

A couple of them flinched at that. It was thoroughly ingrained into our culture to be polite, after all. That, and this was a prestigious school. Being caught being rude had more severe repercussions than at most schools.

"So what?" The, seemingly, bravest pushed on, unfazed as my eyes narrowed. "Age doesn't matter when it comes to love."

I choked at that. Laughing a bit as I coughed, I managed to sputter out a, "What?" They thought I was competition. Jungkook looked very uncomfortable. "Listen, I don't know what you think..." He could probably tell that I was considering just leaving a great dose more seriously, now. The pleading look on his face grew more intense. I straightened up, and sighed heavily. "But I'm supposed to be tutoring this dongsaeng right now. So...."

"Yes!" Jungkook finally mustered the ability to carefully squeeze through the cluster of girls. I didn't miss how he was practically behind me when he walked over. "I'm very close to failing math."

"Aw... can't we come too?"

"Yes, I'm so bad at math!"

I balked. So was I. I was not giving up my lunch time to pretend to tutor first years with my very shaky knowledge of mathematics. "Sorry, but no. You'll be too much of a distraction for Jungkook-ah. One at a time."

"But-"

"One. At. A. Time." I said tiredly, but firm. I smacked the back of my hand into Jungkook's chest, partly to emphasise my point but mostly for the sake of venting my frustration. "Or do you want him to flunk out? This meathead's only good at exercise."