Chapter 19

Riku turned when he heard Sora's footsteps. The staff looked at them, and at Tidus. Everything seemed calm now, but Sora still looked really angry. Riku saw that Sora kept looking down at the floor.

"What happened?" Riku asked, genuinely curious.

"Nothing. Tidus was being an idiot like always," Sora muttered.

"Well, it seems like he still wants to talk," Riku said, pointing behind him.

Tidus glared at Riku, and shrugged off Wakka's arms from his shoulder. The other didn't hold him back anymore, but was still paying close attention to what his friends were doing. Getting into a fight inside would not be good.

"I don't want to fight with him," Sora told him.

"Then don't. If it's about me, I don't care what he says." Riku shrugged, turning back to look over the games.

"But-"

"It's not like you guys never bothered me," Riku interrupted him in a bitter tone. "I've gotten used to your insults and hate. All you popular people think you can do whatever you want just because you've got money. You're all jerks."

Sora flinched at that. Riku realized what he said, and immediately turned to face the brunet. It was true though, and he had tried forgetting that because Sora turned out to be a somewhat nice guy.

Riku thought that maybe it had been Tidus or his friends who started picking on people, or maybe spending one day made Sora realized what he was doing was wrong. It seemed like Sora had always been conscious about that.

"Sora, I'm so sorry about that! I just-"

Sora held up his hand, and sighed. Riku stopped mid sentence when he saw Sora bite his lip, and his eyes were looking at anything but him.

"You're right. Just because I'm being nice now, and because I'm hanging out with you doesn't mean that we didn't make your life impossible at school," Sora said in a low voice.

"Well, I wouldn't go that far," Riku muttered with a roll his eyes. "But that's not what the point! I didn't mean to say that."

"But it's true, isn't it?"

Sora attempted a smile, and put his hands inside his pockets.

"But we can forget that, right?" Sora asked, his eyes wide. "At least, if forgetting is hard, can I try to make up?"

Riku was a bit surprised. He expected Sora to make a big deal, or to just leave. Riku nodded, but didn't say anything else. Sora smiled, and turned to look for games of his own.

"Well...yeah, I guess so," Riku muttered. "Not like I can say no anyway."

Sora stood on his toes to grab a game while Riku turned to the side. Tidus was pretending to look for something while glaring at Riku. When their eyes met, Tidus motioned with his hand to follow him. Riku watched as he left the store, and frowned. He walked away quietly, and went in the same direction as Tidus had gone.

Riku knew he shouldn't, but he was curious. Even though it would cause trouble for him and the others if they got into a fight. Riku was sure he could handle Tidus if things went in that direction though.

"What?" Riku asked once he was outside, a bit annoyed.

"Why are you getting so close to Sora?" Tidus immediately asked, not caring how Riku was looking at him.

"Why do you care? And I'm not getting close," Riku responded calmly.

"You do know that the spot of best friend belongs to me, right?" Tidus asked.

"So?"

"I know you have a thing for Sora," Tidus told him, and caught Riku's full attention. "Now, I know that information is not very useful by itself, but with a few lies here and there, I can make your life miserable without much trouble."

"What kind of lies?" Riku growled, clenching his fists.

Tidus smirked, satisfied with the reaction he got from Riku.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Tidus told him with a sneer, surprising both Riku and Wakka.

With that, the blond teen walked away, leaving Wakka alone with Riku. The silver haired teen turned to Wakka, who watched as Tidus walked away.

"What's his problem?" Riku mumbled as he walked to the door.

"It seems like he has a really big reason other than being jealous of you being perfect," Wakka said, and started to walk away.

"Me? Perfect?" Riku laughed, then shook his head. "Man, what an idiot."

With that, Riku walked back inside. Wakka's words still echoed in his head.

'I'm not perfect. I've got my own problems and flaws. I've got a best friend who I need to comfort, my crush is a popular childish jerk, my dad's a workaholic, my mom is gone, my cousin hates me, popular idiots also hate me for some reason, and more problems.'

Sora already had a few games in his hands, and Riku frowned. He hadn't found anything for himself. Sora turned, and smiled.

"Where'd you go?" he asked.

Riku shrugged, and looked through the shelves. He picked a few, but Sora crossed his arms with a frown. He noticed Tidus was gone, along with Wakka.

"What happened? Come on," Sora whined as he pulled Riku's hair. "Tell me."

Riku hissed, and grabbed his arm. Sora looked down at it, then at him.

"Stop," Riku growled. "Sora, whatever happened has to do with me."

Sora narrowed his eyes, and pulled his arm.

"But Tidus is my friend, and so are you. Then this is also my business," Sora told him. "I thought we were close already..."

"We are," Riku said without thinking, then shook his head. "Well, as close as we can get in one and a half days."

Sora rolled his eyes.

"You might think we're really close," Riku continued, "but because of this, Tidus has it out for me. Do you think that kiss got us any closer? It just made things between us awkward."

Silence followed after that. Riku groaned. He was hoping to avoid that, but it just came out.

"About that..."

"Yeah?"

"I like you. I always have, but I didn't want to get close because of what I've always been told," Sora said, looking away.

"Sora, I...," Riku whispered.

"You don't have to say anything," Sora mumbled, and walked away to pay for the games.

Riku frowned, but followed him. He didn't know how to answer. He already had Tidus as an enemy, and he was sure Tidus would not care what he had to make up to make Riku seem like the worse person ever. Riku was afraid that he would drag Sora into this mess as well. But why did Tidus care so much? Why was he angry with Riku?

Riku shook his head. Thinking about that right now would ruin the whole day. He had already messed up by making Sora feel bad. Riku would deal with Sora's confession later, after taking Sora somewhere to cheer him up.

A/N: I've got a quick question. What do you guys think Riku would study for in college? Same with Roxas, Axel, Sora, Xion, and Kairi. (Maybe with Selphie, Tidus, and Wakka too.) I want to add something, but it'll be towards the end of this story so it doesn't have to be all right now. Thanks for reading!