Chapter 23

Sora turned his head to Riku, and smiled. He turned to Riku with his hand out, and something shone brightly in his hand. Riku tried to see what it was, but he could only tell the color. It was something golden.

"I .... ... Riku."

Riku's eyes widened, and ran to him. Sora turned to the river in front of him, and dropped whatever he had in his hands. Riku managed to see them before they made a small splash in the water. The water rippled as they sank to the bottom.

"The rings...?"

Riku looked up to the side, but Sora was gone. Instead, a note was left there.

"Riku, I never got your answer..."

Riku opened his eyes slowly, and stared at the ceiling. He narrowed his eyes, and gripped the covers.

"What the...?"

The day was up to a great start, was Riku's sarcastic thought. He was confused about the dream, and thinking about Sora so early in the morning was not good. With a yawn, he stood up and started to get ready.

When he finished, he reluctantly walked out the door. He stayed outside the school and just as Sora said, he didn't come. Roxas was gradually talking to Axel again, but Riku could see the blond was still a bit down. Of course, his dad might have come back but his mom had taken Xion. Riku could see that Roxas didn't really care about his mom leaving that much, and Riku could understand why, but he was upset that she had taken his only sister with her.

"Seems like Sora was right."

Riku's eyes glanced at the redhead that sat next to him. Roxas was talking to Namine, and she seemed close to crying. Roxas tried to comfort her, but it was just awkward.

"Yeah, I guess so." Riku looked away, and leaned forward with his elbows on his thighs. "What's going on over there with Mr. Dramatic and the artist?"

"Mr. Dramatic?" Axel repeated, and looked towards the other two when Riku motioned to them. "Oh. Well, Namine needed to talk to Roxas about something, but she seemed uncomfortable. I gave them space, my presence wasn't helping."

"Do you..." Riku swallowed hard, hoping that he wouldn't cause any problems between Roxas and Axel. "Do you know...what's going on with them?"

"Something important, apparently," Axel responded with a shrug. "The arranged marriage?"

Riku let out a big sigh of relief. He wouldn't make a problem. Axel didn't look pleased though. Riku unconsciously rubbed his ring finger, looking around. Axel noticed, and frowned.

"It isn't the same knowing Akishima isn't here, huh?" Axel muttered.

Riku's shoulders slumped down, and he brought his arms towards his stomach. Axel raised an eyebrow when he saw how Riku was making himself as small as possible.

"Yeah," he whispered. "That made me think about so many things yesterday."

Axel placed a hand on his shoulder, and Riku looked up with sad expression.

"I'm sure you'll see him again one day," Axel told him, green eyes sparkling. "Anyway, Roxas is gonna go with Namine to talk to her parents. Want to go somewhere? My parents are mad at me. Something about my choosing Roxas over living in my house."

"Whoa! What?!" Riku exclaimed, startling Axel. "You have an answer?"

"Had to. I'd rather be with you guys than with pushy parents," Axel said bitterly. "It's not like they care. If they did, they wouldn't make me choose."

Riku sighed, and leaned back against the wall. He watched as some of the students laughed and joked around.

"I sometimes feel like we're the only ones with families...like these," Riku muttered, crossing his arms. "Axel, what do you plan to do when you graduate?"

Axel hummed, and leaned back against the wall as well while closing his eyes. He crossed his arms, thinking for a bit before answering. When he opened his eyes, the bright green was now a bit darker and held a glint of anger.

"Move out of my house definitely," was his answer but then his expression brightened. "Maybe follow Roxas. What about you?"

Riku shrugged. "Don't know yet. I might move to another place. Roxas' mom might come back and ask me about him. Are you going to college?"

Axel sighed, and took a few moments before answering. "See, I would go, but it's been way too much school. Another reason is that I'm probably gonna get kicked out as soon as I graduate due to my answer."

"Yeah...I'm going. I have to work hard, though," Riku told Axel.

"Same," Axel answered. "I might, but everything is so complicated."

They stayed in silence until the bell rung. They got their stuff and went their separate ways. Riku walked inside, and turned to look at Sora's empty desk. He scowled, and went to his seat.

The teacher wasn't there yet, so some students were still standing. Riku put his head over his crossed arms, and looked the side where the window was. He heard footsteps, and closed his eyes to ignore them. However, the person in front of him didn't go away.

The teen glared, and reached down to grab Riku's hair. He got a fistful, and pulled it. Riku hissed, and looked up.

"What the hell, Tidus?!"

"Don't ignore me," he said, crossing his arms.

"I don't want to deal with you today, Tidus. I'm not in the mood to talk to idiots," Riku replied.

Tidus slammed his hand on Riku's desk, and glared down at him. Riku glared back him, turquoise eyes shining with anger.

"What's your problem?!" Riku growled, and stood up, pushing the chair back as he did. "If you hate me more now because of Sora, it's not my fault he likes me."

Tidus looked a little shocked, then recovered and pulled Riku's shirt to bring him down.

"How did you know? And it is, if you hadn't come, he would have never met you," Tidus growled next to his ear. "You think you're so great, never sparing a glance to others, and now you think you can take my best friend away? You're wrong."

Riku grabbed his arm, holding it tight. A smirk started to form on Riku's face, and his bangs shadowed over his eyes.

"I'm glad I came then. You're the one who thinks you're so great," Riku whispered, his nails digging into Tidus' skin. "I can put you in your place, and you know it but I won't go that low. I'm calm, yes, but if I really wanted to, I could make your school life a living hell, Tidus. Trust me."

With that, Riku let go. Tidus gritted his teeth, and backed up. He had an expression that held fear and anger mixed together. With a huff, he turned around and walked away. When he was gone, Riku let out a long sigh. He reached down for the chair, and sat back down. He instantly regretted what he said.

Riku wasn't a violent person, but he wasn't in a good mood. Of course, Riku would never do anything to others, that's just how he is. His threats though, cause fear in others. Even his stare and glares send chills down anyone's spine. He just hoped Tidus would back off a bit now. He probably had a way to contact Sora, it wasn't as if Riku would have Sora to himself.

The teacher came in, and Riku tried paying attention but ended up spacing out everything, only getting a bit of notes. Riku hoped the day would go by faster. He only sat up straight when he noticed the teacher glancing at him. Overall, the class was a bit boring.