8: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 8

I had gone home yesterday and headed straight to work. Thank god I didn’t have a lot of homework and I could do it later that night because Annie had graciously offered me a five hour shift from 4pm to 9pm.

The coffee shop was slow that night as not a lot of people came into the shop, but it may have been that Jett didn’t come into Kaffeine either.

I hadn’t mentioned to Piper and Blake that I was partnered with Jett for the English project because they hadn’t brought it up I the short time after school when I had seen them, however, I had a feeling that when I headed downstairs this morning to face Piper, she would want to know.

I had gotten up early enough today to be able to straighten my hair so I was now dressed in dark blue skinny jeans, a zebra styled tank top and a black leather jacket. I thought that I looked good and I hoped that I didn’t look stupid.

I walked down the stairs and headed into the kitchen to make myself breakfast. I just put my bagel in the toaster when the front door opened and closed announcing that Piper had arrived.

“Yola mi amigo!” she exclaimed walking into the kitchen as I placed another bagel into the toaster. “Wow girl, you look good! Trying to impress a certain music playing hottie?”

I just rolled my eyes at Piper’s comment and spread a bit of strawberry cream cheese onto both of the bagels. I succeeded in controlling the blush that was willing its way onto my cheeks so that Piper would not see how her comment about Jett affected me.

I turned around to face her with two plates in hand, one for her and one for me. “Thanks, and here is your class A breakfast.” I said, obviously joking about the quality of our breakfast.

Piper just stuck her tongue out at me and began to devour the food that I had just placed in front of her.

After a couple of minutes, Piper had finished her bagel and walked towards my fridge to get something to quench her thrist. While she was looking around in the fridge, she looked over her shoulder at me. “Hey, I forgot to ask you yesterday, who did you get paired with for that stupid senior English project?” she asked.

I internally groaned. I was really hoping that this topic would not come up because I didn’t want to answer it. I couldn’t lie to her because, one, I was a terrible liar, and two, if I was able to lie; Piper would be able to catch it. The only option here was to tell her the truth which would end up with a lot of teasing coming in my direction.

“What project?” I asked, trying to play stupid with her for a second.