28: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 28

When I woke up the next morning, I remembered that I had invited Jett over to my house after school, and as I walked down the stairs an hour later I halted at the kitchen entrance, starting to regret my decision to invite him over. My aunt and uncle were at home again, obviously taking another day off of work this week and they were currently eating breakfast as I let out a low groan.

As soon as the sound left my mouth, I instantly regretted it because both my aunt and uncle halted their conversation on politics or something intellectual and turned their heads towards me.

I smiled sheepishly as I stepped into the kitchen, heading towards the cupboards to grab a box of cereal. “Good morning.” I said as I greeted my guardians and grabbed a box of Captain Crunch.

“Good morning sweetie, how was your sleep?” Mary asked with a smile, as she finished off her raisin toast.

I started to pour my bowl of food as I replied. “It was good.”

Mary nodded, getting up off of her stool to place her now dirty plate into the sink while Dennis raised one of his eyebrows at me. “So, what was that groan about a minute ago if you had a good sleep?” he asked cheekily.

I bit my lip, looking up at my uncle Dennis from under my eyelashes before sighing. “I didn’t expect you guys to be taking the day off work again this week because I invited my friend Jett over after school to finish our English project.” I mumbled as I took a seat in the stool that my aunt had vacated.

Mary turned to me, leaning up against the island that me and Dennis were currently eating at. “Would this happen to be the same Jett that Piper happened to mention yesterday? The one that you refused to talk about before scurrying out of the house?” she asked as a small smirk appeared on her face.

I felt a blush threatening to appear on my cheeks but, luckily for me, I forced the impending colour on my cheeks down and smiled slightly at her. “Maybe…” I replied while trying to eat my delicious bowl of Captain Crunch.

Mary and Dennis faced each other quickly, giving each other a meaningful look before they turned back to look at me with smiles on their faces. “Okay, well we’ll be home tonight and I’ll be cooking dinner so if you want to invite Jett to stay for dinner than that would be okay.” she said.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. Where were the questions about my mystery friend? Why wasn’t my uncle asking me about Jett – the first guy I had really mentioned in front of them, besides Blake? As my confusion stayed within my mind, I voiced my thoughts. “Wait, that’s it? You don’t want to know anything about Jett, like at all?” I asked.

Dennis smirked at me. “Would you like me to start throwing questions out there?”