13: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 13

The game started twenty minutes ago and I was currently in the lead with 130 points while Jett was not far behind with 117, however, for the last two turns Jett had been trading in some letters instead of making a word so I was forced to think that he was trying to make a large scoring word.

It was my turn again because Jett had once again chosen to exchange his letters for new ones. In my hand I had an awesome word; I took the letters off my stand, placing them on the board next to ‘W’ from one of my previous words bow’. With these letters I had successfully made the window on the board. “Okay so with the double letter score under the second ‘W’, that’s seventeen points for me bringing my lead to thirty points.” I said, calculating my score and sending a smirk in Jett’s direction.

‘And he thought he could beat me.’ I thought in my head, inwardly chuckling.

Jett looked at the board and then back at his letters with a grin and my stomach dropped. ‘Uh oh.’ I thought immediately.

Jett took all of his letters off his stand and dropped them onto the floor, placing them vertically on the board attaching them to the ‘W’ I had just placed on the board. When he was done I was shocked; all of his letters together, with the addition of the ‘W’, spelt rainbows. “So, with the triple letter score on the ‘B’ and the triple word spot that adds up to 48. Oh, and then the 50 point bingo bonus I get for using all the letters in my hand brings my total for this turn up to 98, bringing my total score up to 215 and putting me in the lead… by a lot.” Jett explained, clearly gloating about his skills in Scrabble.

“Oh come on!” I exclaimed as he picked up new letters. “You have to be cheating… how can you possibly get all the letters in your hand at once to spell that?”

Jett smirked at me and shook his head. “I’m no cheat, I just know how to play this game.” he replied smoothly.

I shook my head. “How am I even supposed to catch up? This is so not fair!” I stated, looking at my letters, trying to find a word that could boost my points by quite a bit.

“That’s the point… there is no way that you are going to be able to catch up now. That’s my strategy; if you hold off on the big words until the end then your opponent won’t be able to catch up.” Jett explained, waiting as I played my turn.

I saw an opening for a word on the board, and since I didn’t have a better word in my hand, I placed the word ten down. “Four points for me... woo hoo!” I exclaimed, sarcastically as I wrote down my new score.

Jett smirked at me. “What, did you think that since you were smarter than me you could beat me?” he asked, chuckling quietly as he put down the word blast, gaining himself another nine points.