20: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 20

The next morning Piper and Blake headed home fairly early as I had a shift at Kaffeine around 4 but I wanted to finish the homework that I had left in a pile over the weekend.

My biology teacher had given us two units to complete over the weekend with questions and reading and in calculus, Mr. Rioter had assigned us a couple of equations that took quite a bit of time to solve and in anatomy I was given a bunch of bone diagrams to label and colour. Also, in English, aside from having to start typing up my first impression of Jett, the teacher graciously informed us of a literary terms quiz on Monday that would consist of memorizing more than thirty definitions. All of this work took me more than two hours to complete so I was holed up in my room from around one in the afternoon until a little before three thirty.

This advanced work load was starting to get heavy but I just kept reminding myself that it would greatly benefit me next year in university so I sucked it up and got all my work done.

After finishing my homework I had about ten minutes to spare before I had to get ready to head to work, so, I decided to say goodbye to my brother and Kara as they were leaving in a couple of hours to go back to university.

I headed downstairs where my aunt, uncle, brother and Kara were all lounging in the living room watching the end of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. On one sofa, Kara was snuggling up to my brother while he had his arm placed around her shoulders and on the other sofa, my aunt and uncle were sitting close to each other and looking really cute for a grown up couple.

“Hello everybody!” I announced as I entered the room and plopped down on the reclining chair.

Mary, my aunt, turned to me and smiled. “Hi honey, don’t you have a shift soon?” she asked, as the ending credits rolled on the television screen.

I nodded. “Yea I do but I wanted to say goodbye to these guys before I left because by the time I get back tonight, they will be gone.” I replied, turning to my brother and Kara as my aunt nodded in understanding.

My aunt and uncle, seen as they weren’t included in this discussion, got up and headed into the kitchen to no doubt get a start on tonight’s dinner.

“So…” my brother said, looking at me with a small smile on his face.

I stood up from my seat, along with my brother, and gave him a tight hug. “You know I’m gonna miss you right?” I mumbled into the front of his shirt.

He rested his head on top of mine. “I know sis, and I’m gonna miss you too.” he answered, kissing the top of my head before pulling back and staring down at me with a sad smile.