11: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 11

“Mom, I’m home!” Jett exclaimed, tossing his shoes off on the carpet beside the door before motioning for me to do the same.

I took off my jacket as well; hanging it on the coat hanger beside Jett’s and followed him into a room. When I walked around the corner behind Jett I realized that we were in the living room because there were two long couches and a recliner located in front of a television. Also, hooked up to the television were an X-box and two boys fighting for a controller which I’m guessing were Jett’s two younger brothers.

“Hello honey how was your day at school?” a middle aged woman asked, hugging Jett as he blushed slightly. Since I was his friend, I smirked at his obvious discomfort.

“Mom, not now.” Jett muttered, shooting an apology glance my way at which I just shook my head and smiled.

Jett’s mom turned towards me and smiled, which I nervously returned. I wasn’t used to meeting new people that often since the only friends I’ve had for so long stopped at Piper and Blake, along with Jay and a couple of others I knew from Piper’s dance class, I didn’t need to worry about impressing new people. Now that I was meeting Jett’s family for the first time I sort of wanted to make a good impression.

“Hello dear, I’m Jett’s mother but you can just call me Sandra, it’s nice to meet you.” she greeted, shaking my hand.

I smiled at her and shook her hand. “Hi, I’m Sophie.” I replied, still slightly nervous.

When his mom released my hand and stepped back slightly, Jett stepped in. “Well, we have a project for English to start so we’ll just be up in my room.” he announced before dragging me towards a set of stairs.

“Leave the door open honey!” his mom exclaimed and Jett halted his steps, looking embarrassed.

He turned towards his mother with a slightly red face. “Mom, please shut up. Sophie and I are friends nothing more.” Jett said before pulling me up the stairs and out of the company of his family.

Surprisingly, as we went up the stairs, his brothers were still fighting, not having stopped when Jett or I walked into the room.

Jett stopped outside a door that I assumed was his room and turned to face me shaking his head in embarrassment. “I’m sorry about them.” he said, trying to apologize for his family’s behaviour, at which I shook my head in response.

“Jett, its fine. Everybody has a family and yours is normal, trust me.” I replied, giving him an encouraging smile.