22: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 22

I felt Jett tense for a second before he started rubbing up and down my arm again. “You know you don’t have to right?” he said, consoling me as I was trying to hold myself together.

I leaned into Jett a little more, resting my head on his shoulder. “I know, it’s just, I guess we’re close enough now that I want to tell you and I know you’re probably curious about them.” I replied. Jett was about to say something but I shook my head and continued before he could speak. “And no, this isn’t about this stupid project we have to do, I decided to tell you myself.”

Jett nodded before unsuspectedly kissing the top of my head. “Okay.” he replied.

Suddenly I felt pressure on my heart knowing that I was about to tell this guy, my crush and new friend, one of the worst memories in my life.

I took a deep breath and started. “My mom and dad were both lawyers and every month their company would have these business dinners that they would attend. My aunt and uncle on my dad’s side would always come over to babysit us until my parents came home and we always had fun. I remember baking cookies with my brother and aunt while my uncle licked the bowl and all of this other amazing stuff.” I explained, remembering some of the good times of my early childhood. “One night, my aunt and uncle were over and we were wrapping presents for my mom and dad when there was a knock on the door and when my aunt answered the door, a policeman came into the house with a sad expression on his face.”

I felt Jett hug me tighter as tears started running down my face. “The policeman started talking and it all turned into a blur. I didn’t understand what he was saying and all of a sudden the policeman was gone and my aunt and uncle were crying. Apparently a couple on the way home from a party had hit my parent’s car straight on and both my parents died on impact. The driver of the other car was intoxicated and was sent to jail for 15 years after being released from the hospital with only a broken leg.” I said, now with tear flowing heavily down my face, probably soaking into Jett’s shirt.

“I was only seven… and it was Christmas Eve.” I finished, letting the waterworks flow.

Jett probably sensed that I was finished talking as he pulled me as close as physically possible while laying us down on the bed and rubbing my back in a circular motion.

It felt like hours, but in truth, it was probably only a couple of minutes before my tears started to dry up and I finally stopped crying. Even though the tears had stopped Jett was still comforting me as I laid in his arms.

After a couple minutes of comfort, I rolled slightly to the side to come face to face with Jett. I put a small smile on my face. “Well, that’s all there is to know.” I stated, referring to my parents story.

Jett still had his arms around me, and I felt him bring one of his hands up to my face, running the back of his hand across my cheek. .”So that’s why you live with your aunt and uncle?” he asked, already knowing the answer.