The Girl Who Lived

Suddenly lightning strikes on the water, and a loud bang sounds on the door.

No way...could someone be knocking?

The door thumps even louder. Dust rises off the floor near the entrance.

You jump back as the door thumps once more. Hela shoots up from bed, and spots you peaking from behind a half wall. She looks around in fear and decides to cower on a windowsill.

Uncle Odin and Aunt Frigga appear on the stairs, also awake from the ruckus. Odin raises something, you squint, it's a gun, he points it at the door.

"Who's there?" he shouts.

The door bursts open and then falls down, straight off its hinges.

In the frame stands a giant green man.

As soon he comes into the clear lighting, his form shrinks into a short man with black and gray hair and olive skin.

"I-I'm...uh...sorry about that that." The man blushes sheepishly, and then morphs into the green giant to place the large door back on its hinges.

Your Uncle aims the gun at him, "I demand that you leave at once you— you monster! You are breaking and entering!"

Frigga quietly gasps in fear, as the green giant stomps over to the pair of them. His huge hand grabs the gun then, with one move, bends it upwards, as if it were made of rubber.

The giant grunts, eyes firey. He sweeps around and eyes Hela. His green eyes quickly soften, and he turns back into the black haired man.

"Wow! I haven't seen you since you were a baby, ______, but you're a bit...different...than I remember you." He nervously laughs.

"I-I-I'm not _____." Hela stutters.

You move out from behind the half-wall, "I-I am."

"Ah! Yes, that's definitely more like it, ha!" He pauses and thinks for a moment, "Oh! I— I have something for you. But i'm thinking Hulk might have sat on it at some point. He baked it, you know— although he's not much of a cook." He hands you a box, which looks a bit smushed, but still great. "All of its homemade, even the frosting."

You hesitantly open the box, and read the message on the cake, "Happee Birtdae _______" the message reads in green frosting. The green is identical to the shade of the giants skin.

"Thank you!" you smile, genuinely grateful for your first birthday cake.

"Ah, it's nothing. After all, it's not every day that someone turns eleven." The man smiles softly.

He sighs, then plops down on the sofa. Reaching to his side, he grabs an umbrella and points it at the dim fireplace; two sparks fly out of its top and the logs within burst into flames. Everyone looks at the spectacle in astonishment.

You place your cake on the table, and then turn to the man, "Excuse me but, who exactly are you?"

"Oh! Where are my manners. I'm Bruce Banner, the keeper of keys and grounds at Midgards. That green guy, that's Hulk. There's not much more to it, as i'm sure you know all about Midgards."

"Sorry, no." you shrug.

"No? That's funny. You're a real jokester already, _____." he smiles pleasantly.

"I'm being honest Mr. Banner— I really have no clue."

His smile melts into concern, "You haven't ever wondered where your parents learned all they knew?"