Facts and Feathers

Outside in the courtyard, Matthew is unpacking a giant trunk, its filled with strange looking balls, all to play Quidditch with, from what you understand.

"Quidditch is easy enough to understand. Each team has seven players, 3 chasers, 2 beaters, 1 keeper and a seeker. That's you. There are three kinds of balls." he feels around and picks up a red one, "This one's called the Quaffle. Now, the chasers handle the Quaffle and try to put it through one of those three hoops." He points to the hoops in the Quidditch pitch in the distance. "The keeper, that's me, defends the hoops."

"How do you if you're..." you ask, not meaning to offend him.

"How do I see on coming Quaffles when I'm blind? I have great senses Marvel."

"If you don't mind me asking, how did it happen?" You say apprehensively.

"My father liked to experiment with potions, one day, one of his calutrons got knocked over, whatever he put inside it got onto my face, then my eyes, and then suddenly, I just couldn't see anymore. Well not with my eyes at least, the accident blinded me. It just also, uh, sharpened my other senses." he throws the Quaffle to you. "With me so far?"

You throw it back. "I think so. What are those two squirming chained down ones?" You ask.

"You better take this." Matthew hands you a small bat. He bends down and releases one ball. With an angry growl, it flies off into the air. You watch it carefully.

"Careful now, it's comin' back." Matthew says the balls comes whizzing down, and you crack at it with the bat. The ball soars off through a statue, surprisingly without damaging it.

"Eh, not bad, Marvel, sounds like you'd make a fair beater... Uh-oh." The ball zooms down, and Matthew grabs it, wriggling to get it back in the box. He succeeds and is out of breath.

"You're absolutely amazing Murdock, what is that anyway?" you ask.

"Bludger. Nasty little things. But you are the seeker, and the only thing I want you to worry about is this... the Golden Snitch." he hands you a walnut sized golden ball.

"I like this." you say.

"Ah, you like it now. Just wait. It's wicked fast and damn near impossible to see. You can imagine why I'm not a seeker." he says, referencing his blindness.

"Well, what do I do with it?"

"It's pretty simple, you catch it before the other team's seeker. You catch this, the game is over. You catch this, Marvel, and we practically win."

The ball flutters out two delicate wings and jumps into the air. You keep a close eye on it.
_

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation; the ability to make objects fly. Uh, do you all have your feathers? Good. Now, uh, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hmm? The swish and flick. Everyone." Professor Pym says.

"The swish and flick." the whole class repeats back.

"Good. And enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then." He nods.

Everyone begin to enunciate and doing the movements on their feathers.

"Wingardrium Leviosa!" Peter waves his wand, and the feather goes up, Michelle does the same. Peter was actually quite good at school, when he paid attention.

You straighten up and swish your wand.

"Wingardium Leviosa." you say, and the feather glows and lifts up.