Foes Become Friends

The the three of you slip silently into a stand of trees. Beyond you, Bruce's hut glimmers desolately in the dying sun. High in the clock tower, a bell begins to toll.

You all stop fighting your tears. A quartet of bleak shadows files from the hut. One of the shadows, Professor Strange, raises his hand and points, directing the attention of the others away from Buckbeak. He speaks briefly, unintelligible from this distance, then; The crows shriek excitedly and the Executioner separates from the others, and disappears behind a low stand of trees.

All goes very still. The wind seems to lose its voice.
Sunlight kicks off the axe as it rises over the trees,
into view...

The ax hangs seemingly forever, etched against the sky, then drops from sight.

Then, a sicking chop fouls the breeze.

You and Peter stare toward the trees in numb disbelief. You reach for his trembling hand, he takes it and squeezes. None of this felt right, this couldn't be real.

Buckbeak was dead.

Michelle, face turned away, trembles.

The bell dings in the distance. The sun slowly sets, dropping behind the mountains in the distance. You see Michelle turn, and spot a frenzied spray of
crows stain the bloody sky, their primal shrieking rising like a curse.

Suddenly, you feel Peter jerk his body away, you look down the length of his arm to his hand, where a drop of blood hangs from his finger, then drops like a tear...

He stares at his hand, at the blood running down his finger.

"She bit me..." he murmurs.

His eyes quickly shift. You follow them and see Nebula the rat, streaking away.

"Peter! No!" Michelle yells as Peter pelts after Nebula, you and Michelle follow quickly.
_

Peter reaches the summit, then disappears over the top. You and Michelle follow breathlessly, then reach the top of the ridge. Michelle turns to you.

"______. You do realize what tree this is...."

Peter nabs Nebula, and cradles her in his bloody palm.

"Now behave yourself." He says.

Peter was kneeling under the Whomping Willow.

"That's not good- Peter! Peter!" You yell.

Peter spins around, and looks towards you.

A terror fills his eyes, "______! RUN!"

Your eyes shift, bounding toward you in the gathering gloom is an enormous, pale-eyed, dog. The same dog from that night on the curb.

You shield yourself when, incredibly, the dog leaps clear over you.

Peter shrieks.

The dog's teeth flash and SNAP! close on Peter's foot, dragging him towards the trunk of the Womping Willow like a rag doll. Instantly, your dash forward, leap out, and grab Peter's hand, but the dog was too strong and you and Peter just keep skudding along the ground.

"I've got you-" Michelle pitches herself onto your feet and the three of you go dragging along.

"_____! Let go!" Peter yells.

You raise your chin. The dog vanishes into a gap at the base of the tree, and begins to pull Peter through...

"No! Hold on, Peter!" You shout.