The King of the Arachnids

"It's been here all the time! Look at it. The Forest has turned it wild." Peter slaps the hood in a loving manor.

You nod quickly, and then glance back up to the slope, "C'mon, we don't want to lose the trail."
_

You and Peter enter a hollow ribboned with shadows. Enormous trees tower over you, strewn with strands of white webbing. Peter steps on a strand, and then kicks it off queasily.

You peer up ahead: at the far end of the hollow, the spiders stream toward dark opening.

As you and Peter slowly approach the opening, a clicking sound emanates from within, echoing in the branches of the tall trees. Growing louder. You put your hand near your wand, Peter falters, glancing at you nervously.

"I don't have a good feeling about this, _____-" Peter says.

"Don't panic." You say grabbing his arm and placing him behind you protectively.

As you step up to the mouth of the cavern, the air
suddenly crackles with movement. Twigs snap. A huge shadow emerges, and slowly engulfs you. You swallow hard and then peer up.

You see an enormous spider, the size of a small elephant. As it advances, you and Peter back slowly away. Then: its blind eyes catch the light, and it stops. As if...listening.

"You do not come from the forest. Your hearts beat like...mortals." The beast says.

You finally are able to take a struggled breath, "Yes. We're friends of Bruce's. And...your....Aragog, aren't you?"

Hearing this, Aragog's head turns slightly.

"Bruce Banner has never sent mere humans into our
hollow before." Aragog says.

"He's in trouble. Up at school, there've been attacks. They think it's Bruce. They think he's opened the Chamber of Secrets. Like before." You stutter.

As you talk, you notice Peter eyes dart warily about. He nudges you, but you ignore him.

"That's a lie! Bruce never opend the Chamber of Secrets!" Aragog hisses.

"But if Bruce never...that means...you're not the monster." You realize.

"The monster was born in the castle. I came from a distant land, in the pocket of a traveler." Aragog says.

Peter turns, "_____..." He whispers.

"Shhh!" You command.

"But if you're not the monster, what did kill that girl fifty years ago?" You ask.

"We do not speak of it! It is an ancient creature we spiders fear above all others." The beast says harshly.

"But have you seen it?" You press.

"I never saw any part of the castle but the cupboard in which Bruce kept me. The girl was discovered in a bathroom. When I was accused, Bruce brought me here." Aragog says.

You look up for a moment and see hundreds of spiders in high and low branches dropping downward like paratroopers. Peter grabs you. You pale, and turn slowly back to Aragog.

"Well... thank you. We'll just go..." You sputter.

"Go? I think not. My sons and daughters do not harm Bruce, on my command. But I cannot deny
them fresh meat when it wanders so willingly into our midst. Goodbye, friends of Bruce." Aragog turns, and disappears into the shadows of the cavern.

"Can we panic now?" Peter says.

A gang of five-foot spiders bar the path ahead. And they begin to move forward. You and Peter spin again: Spiders. Everywhere. Closing in. Desperately, you swing the lantern in you hand.