Tea Leaves

At the High Table, your new teacher Professor Rogers sits with Professor Laufeyson, Professor T'Challa, Bruce and Headmaster Strange.

You look along the faces of the kids choir, singing to the strains of a harpsichord, and see a quintet of singing toads. (According to Ned, his very own toad Han, was one of them.) You glance at Ned, he looks at his toad with pride.

As the choir's song concludes, Strange rises, beaming over the sea of students.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Midgards! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups; first, I'm pleased to welcome Professor S.G. Rogers, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor."

Amid scattered applause, you and your friends clap extra loudly.

"Of course! That's why he knew to give you the chocolate." Michelle says

"As some of you may know, our last Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Bruce Banner."

You, Peter, and Michelle stare at each other, stunned, then applaud vigorously. Bruce turns ruby red.

Strange's tone turns grave, "Finally, on a more disquieting note, Midgards- at the request of the Ministry of Magic will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban."

A murmur of apprehension fills the hall. At the Slytherin table, Liz Allen, flanked by the ever- present Betty Brant and Flash Thompson, catches  your eye, feigns a faint, making fun of you.

You shoot a death glare back.

"The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no
circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving."
_

You, Peter and Michelle arrive at the seventh floor landing and approach the Fat Lady in the portrait, and say the password.

The other Gryffindors trail through the common room, the girls heading one way, boys the other.

Later, while those around you sleep, you take out the photograph of your parents, and set it next to your bed, then glance around in quiet contentment. There's no place like home.
_

You, Peter and Michelle sit on fat little pouffes in a murky, incense-laden room, along with Ned, Luke Cage, Remy LeBeau, Gwen Stacy, Janet Van Dyne and a few others you didn't know.

A voice flutters into the room, "Welcome, my children. In this room, you shall explore the mysterious art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess..."

A emerald green scrim flutters and the divination Professor, glides dramatically into view, eyes huge and bug-like behind enormous glasses.

Peter begins laughing.

"...the Sight. Hello. I am Professor Delphi. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future. But know this. One either has the Gift or not. It cannot be divined from the pages of a book. Books only cloud one's Inner Eye."

"What rubbish." Michelle whispers under her breath.

Professor Delphi frowns at Michelle.

"Where'd you come from?" Peter asks her.

"I've been here all along." She says nonchalantly.

You shrug.

Professor Delphi spins around and stairs at Ned.

"You, boy! Is your mother well?" She asks.

"I...I think so." Ned says nervously.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that." Delphi says patting him on the shoulder.

Ned shares an astounded look with you.

"The first term will be devoted to the reading of tea leaves. If all goes well, we will proceed to palmistry, fire omens, and finally...the crystal ball. Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty bout of flu. I myself will lose my voice. And in late spring, one of our number will... leave us
forever."

Everyone exchanges uneasy glances, Delphi smiles.

"Well then shall we?"
_

Inside your cup, a cloud of tea leaves swish around oddly. You frown at the leaves, looking for a corresponding symbol in the textbook at your elbow. Delphi walks amongst everyone, robes flowing.

"Broaden your minds, my dears. And allow your eyes to see... beyond." Delphi takes Gwen Stacys cup, and peers inside.

"A five-leaf clover...You can expect to wake with a horrible rash tomorrow morning, dear." Delphi turns to Ned casually, "Mr. Leeds, after you've broken your first cup..."

CA-CHINK! Ned fumbles the cup in his hands and the brittle crash of china is heard.

"...would you be so kind as to select one of the blue ones? I'm rather partial to the pink."

She stops by Peter, "What do you see in Ms. Marvels
cup, Mr. Parker?"

"Well. She's got a wonky sort of cross- that's trials and suffering. But this lot here could be a heart- that's finding true love. So...she's going to suffer a lot but love it?" He says.

Professor Delphi takes the cup, peers inside, and then yells. She drops the cup and it shatters onto the floor.

"What is it, Professor?" Janet asks.

Delphi regards you with a mixture of pity and fear.

"My dear girl... You have the Grim."

"The Grin? What's the Grin?" Remy asks.

"Not the grin, you idiot." Janet says.

"The Grim." Luke corrects, "But what does it mean, Professor?"

"The Grim..."

Everyone turns, and sees Gwen Stacy bent over her textbook.

"Taking the form of a giant spectral dog, it is among the darkest omens in our world. It is an omen...of death."

You peer into your cup. The leaves shift, suddenly all you can see in the cup is the face of Tony Stark, staring back at you murderously.