The Thief

You stand in front of a door marked by the number 12.

You tap your wand on the weathered surface and a series of metallic clicks sound. The door swings open with a shallow squeak.

As you enter the house, the gas lamps lighting the entrance hall spring to life, illuminating a narrow cobwebbed hallway. You and your friends glance about, then you take a step forward.

Just then, a great rush of cold air sweeps through the hallway and your tongue curls back in your mouth.

Something shifts in the shadows at the end of the hall, rising from the carpet, tall, dust-colored and terrible- looking, then it rushes toward you. It's Strange, but a ghostly, worm-eaten Strange, a corpse come to life, with empty eye sockets and sunken face. It raises its wand and then explodes in a great cloud of dust, swirling like mist in the corridor, drifting back to the carpet.

Michelle yelps, and Peter backs away, but you just stand there, still surprised, but in truth, nothing really scared you anymore.

"What was that about?" Peter asks.

"Probably Nick Fury's idea...in case anyone decided to come around snooping." Michelle wipes her nose.

Just then, a floorboard creeks. You stiffen.

Slowly, Peter draws his wand, and peers into the shadows, "Homenum revelio."

Nothing. He lowers his wand. You and Michelle look at him with raised brows.

"It's a spell to reveal human presence." Peter says.

"Amazing..." Michelle murmurs.

He extends his hand, and watches the dust stream through his fingers, "We're alone."
_

You awaken with a start from a nightmare about Thanos, you peer up at the cobwebbed chandelier overhead. You sit up, and glance at Michelle, asleep upon the sofa just across from you.

Peter lays next to you on the mattress you'd pulled downstairs, his arm slung around your waist. Nearby, on the counter in the kitchen, the radio hisses, distant voices struggling to be heard.

You gently pull Peter's arm off you and grab your wand off the side table, "Lumos."

Your wand blooms in the darkness and you walk upstairs. After reaching the landing you begin wondering around the halls, you peer into an adjacent bedroom.

The drawers have been turned out. The bedsheets stripped. You move on, painting the wall with wandlight, illuminating an empty portrait of a muddy landscape. You study it, long enough that you'll really remember it.

Suddenly, a floorboard squeaks, like the night before.You wheel, pointing your wand down the dark corridor adjacent.

You move down the narrow corridor to its end, to a doorway. You eye the nameplate: "ANTHONY."

You ponder for a moment, and then enter. This room, like the others, has been ransacked. You linger by a photograph on a dresser.

In it, four Midgards students, your father, Tony, Nebula, and Steve. They stand grinning before the whomping willow. You trace the thin cone of light off your wand across their faces. You look down, books and papers carpet the floor.

From the cover of a thick blue book, a mans face, striking and wise, peers out from a dust jacket. You crouch and turns the book over to read its title: A History of Magic by Kaecilius Zealot. You turn it back over, and study the mans face again.

You begin to rise when you notice a crumpled piece of paper embossed at the top with a name: Captain Marvel.

Your mothers codename, which she adopted during the first wizarding war. It was why your last name was Marvel instead of your fathers last name or Danvers. Because you were being hidden, and their names would be too recognizable. Your middle name "Vers", however, was not only a homage to your mothers nickname, but to your true family name "Danvers". Tony and Steve had also adopted codenames, "Iron Man" and "Captain America" respectfully.