Sneak

The sun rises over Midgards as you and Michelle stroll down the main street of Midsmead. You spot Peter approaching in the distance.

Michelle sighs and looks sour for a moment but it quickly disappears, "Have fun, _____. Meet me in the Three Broomsticks after. There's something you need to do."

"I'm scared to know. But okay." You nod, then quickly run up to Peter, your heart fluttering.
_

You and Peter sit opposite each other at a small table inside the tea shop. Valentine's Day decorations accost the eyes at every turn.

You stir the tea in your heart-shaped teacup slowly. The saucer rattling underneath, the liquid swirling and shimmering with bits of rose petal and orange peel.

Peter looks as if he's trying to pretend he's content for your sake. But something is clearly bothering him. His strawberry cake sits uneaten and his drink is surely getting cold. You begin to wrack your brain  with ideas to lighten the mood, make him feel better.

"I'm glad you were up to coming, Pete. I've missed you so much— but I totally understand you need space, I-I uh, get what you're going through." You smile, slightly uncomfortable, unaccustomed to dealing with emotions instead of putting them off.

You glance away, and spot several couples kissing at their tables, then you avert your eyes back to Peter.

"Yeah? I'm sorry, ______. But somethings been on my mind for awhile now. And— I-I've been meaning to ask you...but...did Ben say anything before— before he d-died?" He mutters sadly.

You shake your head, "Oh...uh, no, Pete. Not that I heard...there wasn't really much time..."

Peter begins tearing up, and you try to console him.

"Look, maybe we should talk about something else?" You suggest.

"What? I thought you'd want to talk about it, I thought maybe out of everyone— you'd understand," He shoots up and the entire table rattles, your tea-cup nearly tipping over.

The tea shop has gone deathly still, everyone watches the pair of you.

"I'm—" Peter glances around anxiously, "I'm sorry, ______. I didn't mean to— I'll just...see you around," He sniffs then walks out, and you run after him.

You stagger around in the rain, looking frantically for him, but somehow, he's disappeared.

Getting drenched by the rain, you give up your search and slowly make your way to the Three Broomsticks. So much for a Valentine's Day date.
_

You enter the Three Broomsticks and spot Michelle. She's sitting in a booth with Wade Wilson and Jessica Jones the reporter.

You sit down, "So what exactly is this all about?"

"That's what Little Miss Perfect was about to tell us." Jessica says sourly.

You glance at Michelle.

"Right...Um, I figured with all of the negative press about _____, she should have a chance to defend herself. You know like, innocent until proven guilty and all that," Michelle pauses, "_____ can tell everyone all the details; everything that happened last summer, the truth about Tony Stark and Thanos. And— not to mention the names of all the Children of Thanos still on the loose."

Jessica leans across the table, "The Bugle will never publish that. It goes against the public mood."

"That doesn't matter. We've already found a publisher for the article." Michelle nods.

"Who?" Jessica asks.

Wade looks away from the window and smirks, "My father. He's the editor of The Butler."