The Missing Mirror

Everyone plummets toward the ground in a cascade of roaring water 30 feet below.

Michelle screams something, her wand flashing and one by one, you each hit the group gently, relatively unscathed. As the water drains away, you peer upward, watching as, alarms blearing, the cart rattles back the way it came.

You turn to Michelle as she pockets her wand and give a small smile, "Well done. Thanks." You pause and then study her, "Hey. You look like...you."

Michelle sits there soaking wet and she looks like...herself. And Peter looks like plain old Peter.

Malekith nods to the waterfall, "The Thief's Downfall. Washes away all enchantments. Can be deadly."

Peter grimaces, "You couldn't have told us about it earlier?" He glances off in the distance as the cart's alarms grow faint, "Just out of interest...is there any other way out of here?"

"No."

Before the three of you can process this, Bogrod speaks up, the Imperious curse having worn off.

"What the devil are you all doing down here!" He begins backing away in angry confusion.

You go to raise your wand but Malekith smacks your hand down, "We need him!"

Bogrod looks at him in disgust, "Is this your doing, Malekith? You have no rights here anymore. When you gave up your keys, you—"

You and Peter raise your wands, "Imperio!"

Bogrod blinks, and then resumes his placid, mild demeanor.

Malekith steps past, and pushes Bogrod on, "Well done."

The three of you watch the goblins go, and then exchange an unnerved glance. Just then a groan is heard, deep and unsettling, coming from down the tunnel.

Peter cocks his ear in disbelief, "N-No. It's not possible..."

He rushes forward to catch up with Malekith and you and Michelle follow, turning the corner you find Bogrod standing calmly, all by himself.

Peter continues forward slowly, squinting. You follow, in the distance something massive shifts heavily, chains clinking loudly.

As you get closer, you realize it's a giant dragon tethered to the ground, barring access to a deep vault.

Its scales are pale and flaky, its eyes milky.

"That's a Welsh Green." Peter murmurs.

Michelle shutters, "It looks like it's been down here forever."

Suddenly, hinges squeak loudly and you all jump. It's Malekith in the shadows, he takes something from a wooden box on the wall. It's an odd-looking metal instrument. He steps into the light, and tosses the instrument to Michelle. She glances from it to Malekith, and he eyes her with a strange intensity.

"Go on." He demands.

She looks unsure, then gives it a shake.

A shrill ringing echoes off the rocky passage, eerie and unpleasant. The dragon rears back instantly, howling in fear, then, as the ringing subsides, settles.

Peter nods knowingly, "Its been trained to expect pain when it hears the noise."

Michelles eyes flash to Peter, then to the scars on the dragon's face and neck.

"....That's barbaric. I.." She hands the instrument back to Malekith, horrified.

Malekith takes it, unmoved.

"We'll only have a few seconds. In other words... they'll be no do-overs. Understood?"

The three of you eye the dragon, and then nod.