-10-

"Good morning babe." Avery said, wrapping his arms just a little too tight around Cass.

"Good morning." Cass muttered, picking up her bag and getting up from the Gryffindor table. Avery took her hand and the two of them left the hall. Sirius glared at their backs.

"You know, glaring at them won't help." Lily said, slightly amused.

"I am well aware of that thanks." Sirius snapped.  Lily raised her eyebrows but didn't comment further, going back to her toast.
James on the otherhand, tore his gaze away from Lily just long enough to give Sirius a sympathetic smile and pat him on the back.

•••

Sirius hadn't spoken to Cass for two months, and as her and Avery seemed closer by the day, he wasn't planning on speaking to her anytime soon. Their birthday had come and gone, the twins avoiding each other throughout. James, Remus and Peter had decided that if one of their friends wasn't speaking to someone, none of them were. Even though they could have used Cass' books for their map idea, which hadn't progressed further then a few scribbled diagrams.

•••

Cass lay in her bed, tossing  and turning. She hadn't been sleeping properly, or eating properly, or doing anything properly to be honest. She focused on her lessons and her homework and her relationship with Avery. Her friends however, had been pushed aside because there was no time for them. They were still friends of course, but Cass missed out on all of their study sessions and girls nights due to the fact that she was always with Avery. He only let her out of his sight for class and even then he was waiting for her as she came out. She had taken to eating at the Slytherin table, just to avoid the glares she received from her brother. Giving up on sleep, she got up and went downstairs to the common room, a book under her arm.

Sirius also couldn't sleep. A small part of him felt guilty for screaming at Cass. Okay a large part of him. They'd never really fought before, a few arguments but never serious. It's just, how could she go against everything that they had decided to believe in since the first time the cruciartus curse was uttered in their household. Now he thought about it, like really thought about it, there was no plausible reason why Cass would choose to date a scumbag like Avery. Unless she didn't choose to. But surely she wouldn't have agreed to any form of dating before their planned marriage. Sirius pushed thoughts of his sister out of his mind and tried to go to sleep. He failed of course. Deciding there was no point in forcing sleep to come, he went down to the common room. He might as well sit by the fire if he couldn't sleep.

However, there was a slight flaw in his genius plan. Cass was sitting by the fire absorbed in a book. Sirius observed his sister from the boys staircase. She looked pale, but that was maybe the lighting, but there were unmistakeable dark circles under her eyes. Sending someone was watching her, Cass looked up from  her book. She made eye contact with Sirius and jumped up. Sirius walked toward her slowly.

"Cass-" He began.

"I'll leave, you don't have to worry." Cass said. She practically sprinted up the girls stairs, leaving Sirius alone to his thoughts.

•••

The next morning, Cass sat at the Gryfindor table, not really in the mood to talk about how purebloods were great. It was quite early so she didn't think anyone would be up yet but, to her surprise, Lily plonked down beside her. "Morning Cass." She smiled.

"Morning Lily." Cass said, reaching over for the tea.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." Lily said, helping herself to some bacon.

"You know me, busy busy." Cass said.

"Yeah busy with your boyfriend." Lily teased. Cass smiled half-heartedly. "Everything alright?" Lily asked worriedly.

"Yeah, everything's fine." Cass said. Lily raised an eyebrow but didn't press the topic. As the hall filled up, Cass kept a wary eye for Sirius and for Avery. When Avery appeared, Cass grabbed her stuff and scurried over to the Slytherin table.

Lily sipped her tea thoughtfully just as Sirius, James and Peter came over to the table. Remus was already  sitting down, a few seats away from where Lily was. Alice and Poppy had joined her followed quickly by Marlene and Dorcas but they were chatting about something boring, so Lily was lost in thought. "Hello? Earth to Lily!" Marlene said, waving her hand in front of Lily's face.

"Yes Marls, I can see you but I'm thinking."

"About?"

"Important stuff. Speaking of, Sirius Black! Get over here please." Lily said.

"So, Sirius is important stuff?" Dorcas said, raising her eyebrows.

"No, but Cass is." Lily said. "Oh, that makes more sense." Dorcas said sheepishly.

"What is it Lily?" Sirius asked. He looked very tired.

"Can we talk? Privately I mean." Lily said, shooting glares at people listening to them.

"Sure, after breakfast. I think Remus and I are doing last minute homework at the library anyway so I'll meet you there." Sirius said. Lily nodded. "See you later then." Sirius turned on his heel and went back to his cereal.

"He's not looking too great." Marlene said.

"No, no he's not." Lily said.

"Maybe it has something to do with—ow! Alice that hurt!" Dorcas said, after Alice stamped on her foot.

"Shh!" Alice said gesturing behind Lily.

"Oh, hi Cass." Dorcas said.

"I forgot my book." Cass muttered, picked it up from the ground. "Bye guys." She said, turning and walking away.

"Cass, wait." Dorcas said.

"Yeah?" Cass said.

"We're going to Hogsmede as a group this weekend and we're wondering if you were free to come?" Dorcas said.

"I'd love to but..." Cass trailed off, glancing over at the Slytherin table. "No, no buts. I'd love to." She said, grinning at the girls. "See you later."