-77-

Cass sat perched, rather precariously, on the edge of the astronomy tower, her legs dangling down. She had a Charms textbook open on her lap and was trying to concentrate on it.

"Evening." Sirius said, sitting down beside her. Cass jumped and nearly dropped her book off of the tower. She snapped it shut and put it down behind her. She had been avoiding Sirius for the past week, since she had spoken to him after the quidditch match.

"Hello." Cass said softly. Sirius casually lit a cigarette, offering one to her. Cass hesitated but accepted, letting Sirius light it for her.

"You've been avoiding me." Sirius said, staring out across the grounds.

"What? No I haven't." Cass said quickly.

"You have." Sirius said flatly. "This is the longest time we've gone without speaking at Hogwarts since we fought in fourth year."

"I've just been busy." Cass lied. "You know, catching up on work and stuff."

"You've been caught up since you were able to start working again." Sirius said. He sighed again. "Have I done something?"

"No." Cass said.

"Then why have you been avoiding me?" Sirius asked. Cass took a drag from her cigarette, letting the smoke unfurl around her. "James has noticed it too."

"I just..." Cass sighed.

"Have you spoken to Remus about something?" Sirius asked, he sounded nervous.

"How did you know?" Cass said.

"I swear I was going to tell you, I just didn't want to-"

"Wait. Stop." Cass said. "I told Remus something about me, what are you talking about?"

"Oh. Nothing." Sirius said. Cass narrowed her eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"I believe I asked you first." Cass said, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah well, I'm not the one who's been avoiding you." Sirius retorted. Cass rolled her eyes.

"Fine." She said. "Be like that."

"So you're just not going to tell me?" Sirius asked. "You'll tell Remus but not me?"

"I only told Remus because he was worried about you, so I told him he didn't have to be." Cass said.

"For fucks sake Cass." Sirius snapped. "Whatever it is, it's about me apparently. What is it? Has the wicked witch written to you?"

"No." Cass said. She gave a resigned sigh. "Fine, I don't really know why I haven't told you. I didn't want you to worry."

"Jesus Christ Cass." Sirius laughed. "I'm always going to worry. Someone has to."

"This whole protective brother thing is getting a bit old." Cass said.

"Yeah well, this whole keeping things from me until they're so bad I find out anyway is getting older." Sirius snapped. Cass gave him a withering look. Sirius folded his arms. "Forgive me for worrying, you have been close to death quite a few times recently."

"I'm sorry." Cass whispered. She launched into the story of Dumledores office once again. Sirius gasped and widened his eyes in appropriate positions.

"So, you're in need of a house?" He said after she had finished. Cass nodded. "Luckily for you, I know just the place. I have a spare room."

"That's great." Cass said. "Hope I don't cramp your style too much." She smiled. "Now what was your secret?"