-112-

Cass had successfully avoided Noah since she had returned to Hogwarts, something that had not gone unnoticed by Grace. Cass shrugged it off, saying she just hadn't had the chance to see him. She wasn't really sure why she was avoiding him, she just felt off about the whole situation. Especially after the incident a few weeks ago.

"Oh, you'll never guess what." Noah laughed as his queen annihilated her bishop.

"What?" Cass asked, furrowing her eyebrows as she plotted her next move.

"Bloody Zoe Bennett asked me out, didn't she?" Noah said. Cass knocked the chessboard off of the bed in shock.

"And what did you say?" Cass said.

"No, of course." Noah said.

"Why?" Cass demanded. "We're not together, you're a free man."

That's what he'd rather do anyway the little voice in the back of her head told her. He doesn't want to be with a broken freak like you, he deserves better. He deserves better. You deserve nothing.

"Why would I want to go out with someone else?" Noah asked.

"Because you deserve to." Cass said. "You can't just wait around for me all your life. I don't know when I'll be ready for a relationship Noah."

"I've already told you, I would wait forever if I had to." Noah said, frowning a little.

"But you shouldn't have to! That's my point." Cass shouted. Noah looked taken aback.

"Cass... where's this coming from?" He asked gently, going to take her hand. Cass snatched it from his reach.

"We're done. For good. Not just a 'break'. For good." Cass said firmly, fighting back her tears.

It's for his own good. He deserves better than you.

"Cass, are you sure that's what you want?" Noah asked. He met Cass' eye and the usual soft grey was as hard as stone. His own eyes filled with sadness.

"I'm sure." She said. "I'm sorry Noah, I hope we can still be friends."

"Of course we can." Noah said. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "I'd- uh I should head back to school. I'll see you when you're back, okay?"

Cass was drawn out of her memories as Lily nudged her, drawing her back to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom with a bump.

"Miss Black, can you answer my question?" Professor Carter said, his eyes piercing into her. Cass looked down at the desk, twisting her hands about under it.

"Er- no sir." She said quietly.

"And why is that?" Professor Carter demanded, slamming his hand down on her desk. Cass blanched and swallowed the lump forming in her throat, his angry tone making her anxious.

"I- I w-wasn't paying a-attention s-sir." She stammered. She was shaking slightly, unable to look up from the desk. Professor Carter narrowed his eyes. Across the classroom, Sirius tensed. He could see that Cass was struggling to even breathe, let alone speak to the Professor.

"I asked you what the spell for banishing a boggart is." Professor Carter said, a slight sneer on his lips.

Cass nodded. She knew this, it was fourth year work. She opened and closed her mouth soundlessly, seemingly unable to get the words out.

"This is basic knowledge, Miss Black. I would expect even a third year to know it."

"I- I..." Cass choked out. Lily put a hand on her knee in an attempt to calm her down.