-103-

Sirius felt like someone had ripped out his heart and stamped on it. He hadn't realised how kuch he actually needed Cass until she was gone. Sure, they fought, which was mostly him being protective, but their fights never lasted long and they always came back stronger from them. The worst thing was that now he had to spend his eighteenth birthday without Cass.

On the morning of November the 3rd, Sirius woke up very early. The sun was just peeping through the window of the dormitory. He sighed heavily, gently removing Remus' arm from his waist and getting out of bed. He grabbed the marauders map and his leather jacket before slipping out of the dormitory.

Hogwarts was deserted, not even the ghosts roamed the corridors. Sirius kept a close eye on the marauders map, just in case. If he was being honest, he had taken the map so that none of the other boys would be able to find him. He wrapped his jacket tighter round himself as he climbed the stairs to the astronomy tower. He settled himself on the edge with his feet dangling down, staring out into the empty grounds.

Sirius felt at peace for the first time in a long time. He dug about in his pockets for the neatly wrapped birthday present that he had got for Cass. Underneath the paper lay a box of very fancy cigarettes that gave off different colour smoke, and a lighter that had I ❤️ the marauders engraved in bold letters. No matter how much Cass claimed that she didn't smoke, 'only when she needs to!!', Sirius knew that she found a comfort in the nicotine, much like himself. He placed the present beside him and pulled out a birthday candle he had stolen from Peter.

"Happy birthday Cass." He murmured, lighting the candle carefully. "Make a wish." He blew it out, wishing desperately that they could just find Cass and bring her home.

•••

Cass also woke early. Her breathing quickened as she struggled to remember where she was, because it certainly wasn't the cellar. She tried to sit up but was weighed down by an arm around her. Realising she was in Averys bed, she stopped struggling and laid still.

Spending her eighteenth birthday in literal hell was not something she had wanted to do. She had had plans to spend the day skiving class with Sirius and then having a party in the Gryffindor common room with the rest of her friends. Those plans, of course, were foiled by Avery. Cass wondered vaguely if the plans would go ahead without her. A part of her hoped they would, because they would have to get used to her not being their sooner or later.

Avery grunted in his sleep and rolled over, giving Cass a chance to get out of bed. She was taking a massive risk and she knew it. If Avery woke up and found her gone, she'd be for it. She stepped out onto the balcony of Averys room and stared into the sky. The cold breeze made her shiver slightly as she tried to mentally send a message to Sirius.

I love you, happy birthday. She thought desperately, praying that 'twin telepathy' was actually a thing and Sirius would hear her voice in his head. She itched for a cigarette. Smoking hadn't really crossed her mind as she'd been too preoccupied dealing with her living situation, but now she had time to think she realised that she did miss her occasional cigarette with Sirius and/or Marlene. Cass sighed heavily, half tempted to go and steal her wand and escape. She couldn't, of course, she wouldn't make it past the gates. She stayed outside for as long as she dared, before she climbed back into bed and laid still once more, nervously anticipating Avery waking up.

•••

Sirius stayed alone in the astronomy tower until after lunch. He knew that he was probably worrying Remus, James and Peter, but he didn't really care. A flask of firewhiskey sat by his side as he leaned his head onto the railing. He jumped as he heard footsteps, silently cursing himself for not stealing James' invisibility cloak.