-60-

"Sit down." McGonagall said crisply, waving her wand so three chairs appeared. Lily was crying again, buried into James. James was rubbing her back and whispering soothing things. Remus looked like he was about to faint, or vomit.

"He should be expelled." James said angrily. "Mulciber I mean, not Sirius." He added quickly.

"I am sure the headmaster will sort it out." McGonagall said.

"Rubbish!" James said. "No doubt Mulcibers parents will be angry that their son is in trouble, they'll fight his corner. He won't get expelled, because he provoked Sirius into shooting a spell at him so it was technically self defence! Sirius doesn't have anyone to fight for him! His only sister is in the hospital wing because of that bastard!" James was breathing heavily.

"Mr Potter, I can assure you that Sirius will be treated with fairness." McGonagall said.

"Yes, because when Dumbledore writes to his parents they will be so understanding. Oh wait, he doesn't have those."

"I beg your pardon Mr Potter?" McGonagall said sharply. James clamped his hand over his mouth, realising what he had just said. "I was under the impression that Mr and Mrs Black were perfectly healthy."

"They are." James said flatly. He looked close to tears. Lily took his hand. "He left, he's disowned." James looked down at the floor.

"What?" McGonagall said.

"He's been staying with me and my family since the end of the Christmas holidays." James said. "My parents took him in, you'd be better writing to them."

"Thank you Mr Potter, I must tell the headmaster at once. Please wait here till I come back." McGonagall rose from her desk and hurried off. James put his head in his hands.

"I didn't mean to say that." He said. "Sirius will be so angry at me."

"He won't." Lily said, squeezing his hand. "He'll understand you were helping him."

"I've never even heard of that spell." Remus said, his voice was thick with compressed emotion. "The one Mulciber used."

"Me either." Lily said.

"It's my fault." James said. "I'm the one with pink hair, I'm the one that Mulciber insulted and that set Sirius off."

"Don't you go blaming yourself James." Lily said softly. "It is not your fault, you didn't force him to say those things. It's no ones fault but Mulcibers." Her voice shook slightly and she burst into floods of fresh tears. James put his arm around her.

"That was quite a hit Lily." Remus said. "I think you could have broken his nose, and by the looks of things split his lip."

"It was a stupid thing to do." Lily sniffled. "I'm just lucky James disarmed him before he did the same thing to me."

"I wouldn't have let him." James said fiercely. "Bastard."

"What is Sirius gets expelled?" Remus whispered.

"He won't." James said firmly. "You heard McGonagall, Sirius will be treated with fairness. The most he did was give Mulciber a few boils. Mulciber could have killed someone." Lily winced at his words. James looked alarmed. "I meant if no one had known where they were." He said hastily. "Madam Pomfrey will have her fixed up in no time."

"I'm not so sure James." Remus said. "What if she can't..." He closed his eyes and let his tears fall.

"She will!" James insisted. He put his other arm around Remus and held them both close. "She'll be fine. She just has to be."