-45-

The door of their compartment slid open. James and Remus drew their wands at the sight of Regulas. Sirius sighed.

"Can I talk to you?" Regulas said. Sirius hesitated. "Alone." He added. Sirius stood up reluctantly.

"I'll be back." He said. Remus nodded. James looked like he was about to protest but didn't say anything. Sirius followed Regulas into an empty compartment.

"It's awful Sirius. She can barely move." Regulas whispered. "I left her in a compartment with her trunk and closed the blinds. I had to find you." Regulas closed his eyes.

"What happened?" Sirius said.

"They're mad. The worst I've ever seen them, I don't think they can quite believe you left." Regulas said. The knot that had been forming in Sirius' stomach tightened. It was his fault.

"I tried to take her with me..." He said. "She was almost out the door."

"Father grabbed her, then you got hit with some spell and it looked like you could die." Regulas said.

"Where is she now?" Sirius said. Regulas led him down the train. He slid open the door of the compartment. Cass sat slumped against the window. She didn't seem to notice they were there. "Cass?" Sirius said gently, he knelt in front of her. Regulas watched from the doorway.

"Sirius?" Cass said. "No Sirius you can't be here, you'll be in such trouble." Cass started crying. Sirius glanced at Regulas who shrugged.

"Cass, we're on the train to Hogwarts. It's okay." He soothed. Cass continued to sob.

"You're dead. Aren't you?" She said. "Am I dead too?"

"What?" Sirius said. "I'm fine. We're both fine. What gave you that idea?"

"She said." Cass sobbed. "The spell she hit you with would kill you."

"I'm fine Cass don't worry." Sirius wrapped his arms round her. Cass cried into his shoulder. Regulas looked terrified.

"What do we do?" He said.

"Get Remus. Just Remus." Sirius said. "Tell him that a first year is feeling sick or something he's a prefect." Regulas nodded and disappeared. Cass mumbled something incoherent. "What Cass?" Cass didn't answer, she looked like she had fallen asleep. Remus burst into the compartment.

"That's not a first year." He said. "Is that Cass?" Sirius nodded grimly. Remus sat down in shock. Cass drifted in and out of consciousness. She saw a tall figure in the compartment.

"Who's there?" She said. Her eyes flickered open.

"It's just Remus Cass, it's okay." Sirius said.

"What happened to her?" Remus asked.

"I don't know, I can only assume..." Sirius clamped his mouth closed and stared out of the window.

"We should tell someone." Remus said.

"Tell them what exactly? Oh yeah my sister seems to be going crazy and thought I was dead. Good plan Remus, she'll be carted off to Mungos and then where will we be." Sirius said.

"Maybe she needs Mungos." Remus said timidly. Sirius shot him an angry look.

"Sirius." Cass said suddenly. She sat up abruptly.

"Cass? What's the matter?" Sirius said. Cass relapsed into further tears and hugged him.

"I thought you died! Where did you go?" She said.

"I went to James'." Sirius said. "They healed the cuts and gave me blood replenishing potions. I'm fine."

"Thank god." Cass said.