-133-

James was fine, Madam Pomfrey healing him in an instant. Unfortunately for him, it meant he had no excuse not to sit the remaining N.E.W.Ts, but fortunately he was able to to go the celebration party in the Gryffindor common room.

A lot of boogeying, booze and 'bro-hugs' later the seventh years were passed out in the marauders dorm — the party having moved there after it got a little to late for the rest of their house. James, Sirius, Frank and Peter were sprawled over each other on the floor, Remus had made it into his own bed, Lily, Cass and Marlene somehow had landed in James' and Alice and Dorcas were in Sirius'.

It was lucky that the next day was Sunday, because if any of them had an exam that day they would have been well and truly screwed. Cass woke up first, being awoken by a dream. She shook the thoughts of Avery and Bellatrix out of her mind and gently removed Marlenes arm from across her chest. Not bothering to wake anyone, she went down into the common room and then back up to her own dorm.

She threw her hair up into a bun, sticking her wand in it for safekeeping. She brushed her teeth, got dressed and headed out to breakfast. She wondered vaguely if Noah or Grace would be awake, not really paying attention to where she was going and bumping straight into Grace herself.

"Ah fuck, sorry." Cass said, rubbing her head from where it had bashed against Graces'.

"Oh it's okay." Grace said. "Sorry about your head, I'm sure it's sore enough after last night." She smirked.

"Nah, I chugged about two gallons of water before I went to bed. I'm feeling fresh as a daisy." Cass said. "Where are you headed?"

"Oh, just—"

"Grace! What's— oh." Regulus stopped talking abruptly as he saw who Grace was with. Cass stiffened.

"Hello Regulus." She said coolly. Regulus nodded.

"Cassiopeia." He said. Cass' stomach tightened, wishing that he would have just called her Cass.

"Erm, we'll be going then." Grace said, looking awkwardly between the Black siblings.

"I'll see you later Grace." Cass said. She didn't spare Regulus another glance as she walked down the corridor.

"I heard you got engaged." Regulus blurted. Cass stopped walking, turning around slowly.

"Yeah, I did." She said. "What about it? You gonna tell old Wally?" Cass tried to act as calm as she could, but her heart was pounding. She hadn't even considered what Walburga and Orion would do if they found out — when they found out, if they'd do anything at all.

"Of course I didn't." Regulus said, giving Cass a saddened smile. "Congratulations, really. I'm happy for you." Cass softened.

"Thanks Reg." She said. "My offer — all of them — they still stand. You know that." Regulus' cold exterior reformed.

"I didn't say that meant I wanted anything to do with you." He said. Cass sighed sadly.

"Of course not, my mistake." She said. "Say hello to Voldy for me." She turned on her heel, ignoring the ringing in her ears and storming towards the great hall. It was foolish to even think that Regulus saying congratulations was going to change anything, it was just a word. She paused outside the great hall, the ringing in her ears getting louder as her thoughts consumed her. She staggered towards the wall, putting her hand against it for support.

"Erm, are you alright?" A Hufflepuff who was definitely a few years younger than her asked, breaking away from her friends. Cass nodded weakly.

"You — you haven't seen Sirius Black, Lily Evans or James Potter anywhere have you?" She croaked, figuring that the girl was most likely to know them. The girl nodded.