-72-

Sirius blinked a few times.

"It's me Cass, Sirius." He said. Cass looked panicked.

"I don't know who you are." She said. She clung onto Lily. "Please, don't hurt me." She cried.

"I'm not going to hurt you." Sirius said gently, taking a step toward her. "I'm your brother." Cass shrank away from him.

"Sirius! Lily! Where are you?!" Remus' voice echoed through the room.

"We need to get out of here." Lily said urgently. The was a thundering of footsteps and Avery staggered into the room. His nose was bleeding violently.

"What a lovely trio." He sneered. "A blood traitor, a mudblood and a pathetic excuse for a witch." Cass had gone completely rigid and was clinging onto Lily like a lifeline. Sirius gripped his wand tightly.

"What have you done to her?" He spat. Avery smirked.

"Aw does little Cass not remember big brother Sirius?" He mocked. Sirius glowered at him. "Expelliarmus." Sirius' wand flew out of his hand, rendering him defenceless.

"Sirius." Lily said worriedly. Sirius looked round and saw that Cass was hanging limply in Lily's arms.

"That happens sometimes." Avery said, shrugging. "I suppose it's the lack of blood in her system."

"You bastard." Sirius screamed, lunging for Avery. Avery shot a spell at him and he was flung against the wall. Lily screamed. She gently put Cass on the ground, raising her own wand.

"What will your filthy muggle parents do when they find out I've killed you?" Avery taunted. Lily shot a few spells at him but he blocked them easily, laughing. "Maybe I'll kill them too, then you can all be together."

"Reducto!" Lily screamed. Avery blocked her spell with the flick of his wand.

"Crucio." He said. Lily screamed and fell to the floor, her wand falling out of her hand. Avery cackled. "Poor little mudblood. I suppose I'll put you out of your misery. Avada keda-"

"STUPEFY!" James yelled, barging into the room. Avery flew backwards. James rushes over to Lily. "Are you okay?"

"'M fine" Lily said shakily. James helped her to her feet.

"We have to go, now." He said.

"Cass doesn't know who Sirius is." Lily blurted. James' eyebrows shot up. "At all."

"We have to get out of here." James repeated. "Can you walk okay?"

"Yeah, I'll sort Sirius out. You're going to have to carry Cass." Lily said. James nodded and immediately scooped Cass into his arms. Sirius was starting to stir. He sat up, groaning and rubbing his head.

"I'll kill him." He growled, looking for his wand. Lily pulled him to his feet.

"We don't have time for that." She said.

"Where's my wand?" Sirius snapped. Lily shrugged.

"Come on." She insisted.

"I can't leave without my wand." Sirius said. He looked around the room frantically, finally spotting it in Averys hand. He wrenched it from his grasp.

"Sirius come on." Lily said. Sirius kicked the unconscious Avery in the chest.

"Fuck you." He spat. He furrowed his eyebrows as he saw a wand sticking out of Averys back pocket. He recognised it immediately as Cass'. He picked it up and pocketed it, before hurrying after Lily.
They could hear the ongoing duel before they saw it. Dumbledore and Voldemort appeared to be in a heated duel and McGonagall was fighting three more death eaters. Remus was frantically shooting spells at the death eaters that were surrounding him, but he was outnumbered. Sirius rushed to his aid, shooting spells left, right and centre. Reinforcements for the death eaters arrived. Sirius caught sight of Bellatrix, who was going after James, who was still holding Cass. McGonagall finished the death eater she was fighting and grabbed Sirius and Remus.