Pt1 Chapter One

• Dedicated to Noelle, Grace, Jensen, and Anna:)

PART ONE- SUMMER

CHAPTER ONE

Water was everywhere, all around me. My goggles were foggy, and the silicone swim cap I wore over my hair was steadily slipping backwards off my head, but I kept kicking. Just one more lap, I continued to remind myself.

I caught glimpses of Lizzy in the lane beside me as I came up to breathe, a little ways ahead of me. I brought my arms out of the water in a perfect butterfly stroke and then plunged them back under as my legs splashed behind me in the formation of a mermain's tale. I did this continuously until I felt the wall grasped under my finger tips and I stood up quickly, sucking in as much air as possible.

"You know what I hate?" Lizzy gasped as she clung loosely to the red, white, and blue lane rope that seperated us.

"What's that?" I asked her between lungfuls of oxygen. I grabbed the goggles and swim cap off my head in one fluid motion. I took my wet hair down from its messy bun and dunked my head under the cool water, letting the coldness of it rush between the strands of hair and cool my scalp. Lizzy and I agreed this was the best part of practice.

"Chlorine." Lizzy replied and copied my motions. I laughed, knowing there was no way she could escape the chemical.

We climbed out of the pool on shaky legs and made our way to the women's locker room. I grabbed my shampoo from my locker, and turned on the shower beside Lizzy's to full blast.

"We've got to go pick up Lucy and Jenna from the softball field after this." I said as I lathered up my hair with shampoo.

"Why?" Lizzy asked as I gave her the shampoo bottle over the concrete wall that separated our showers.

"Because it's my day to pick up. You know that." I said and ran conditioner through the ends of my dirty blonde curls.

"And then we're got to go pick up Tess from soccer and then we have to take every one home." Lizzy droned playfully as we turned the water off at the same time and emerged face to face, dripping wet in towels.

Lizzy Grace Pilot had been my best friend since fifth grade. The sweet, little Mormon girl and I had immediately become inseparable, and we still were. Lizzy was the shortest of our little group at five foot three inches, and an excellent swimmer. She was extremely gorgeous, with deep green eyes and hair that ended right at the base of her neck that was a dark blonde color. It was stick straight, and she was the only person I knew who could pull off parting it straight down the middle beautifully. She was an average student, as she put it, and could always make me smile.

Lizzy and I walked out of the Morgan County Aquatic center and towards my silver Nissan Cube. I hopped in the driver seat and turned the key in the ignition as Lizzy threw our swim bags into the back and hopped into the passenger seat.

I hung a left out of the pool's parking lot and drove for five minutes to the softball fields where I caught sight of two girls sitting under a tree in softball socks and cleats. I wasn't exactly sure what year of middle school I began to love these two, but I knew now I couldn't live without them.

Jenna Wells and Lucy Bateman had absolutely nothing in common, starting with their looks. Jenna was the tallest of our group, towering at five eleven. She was extremely skinny, with bright banana colored hair that ran down her shoulders in calm curls. Her eyes were a light blue color, and sparkled as she was always making us roll around the the floor with laughter. She was extremely hyper, slightly brilliant, and hilariously immature.

:Lucy, on the other hand, was the mother of our group. She loved all kinds of classic rock, and played guitar with ease. She and Jenna had been competing in heights for years, but she lost to Jenna sophomore year and stayed at a current five foot nine inches. She had the best grammar in the world, made straight A's, and always gave the best advice.