Chapter 16 | Grudges

"Do you not think he's cute, then?" Eugenia asked Minerva as the Scottish girl sat down opposite the blonde one, raising her eyebrows at her friend's statement.

"Not at all, he's my mate - it would be disgusting to think of him in such a way," Minnie shuddered and Pomona, who was sat on the other side of Eugenia, looked like she agreed with her.

Eugenia looked at them both in frustration as she tossed her long blonde curls haughtily. "Well, I think he's gorgeous and he's a good kisser," she informed them and Pomona mimed being sick as Minerva pulled a face. They were talking about Charlus Potter, of course. Who else?

"I don't date my mates," Pomona replied, crossing her arms over her chest and Minnie nodded in agreement as she heaved her trunk onto the rack above them all, making the metal rattle a little and causing Eugenia to look up with an alarmed expression before she giggled.

"So, where are the boys now?" Minerva asked Eugenia, seeing as she was the one out of the group who was the most boy obsessed and more than likely would know where they were.

"Yeah, how come they aren't sat with us?" Pomona asked, pretending to sound offended.

"I think Lyall and Filius are sat somewhere else - it's not like we all fit into one compartment comfortably, is it? Besides, we want to talk about girly things. Al and Florean are probably pulling a prank or watching Charlus flirt with a girl or they're flirting with girls themselves," Eugenia told them, sat up straight like a newsreader, sounding very official like she knew what she was talking about - which she did.

"What, even Florean is playing about with girls now?" Minnie groaned, her head falling into her hands as her long brown ponytail swung and almost hit Pomona, who ducked out of the way quickly.

Alastor and Charlus were known players - Charlus a little more than Al, he tended to go through girls faster than he went through clean socks whereas Alastor did actually stay with a certain girl for a few days before breaking off his snog supply to go make out with another girl for a few more days.

Florean had usually stayed out of playing about with girls hearts, he thought they were all too young for dating and to be kissing girls but he definitely enjoyed flirting with them and he certainly was one of the boys that the girls fell for.

If you ended up making out with Charlus, Alastor or Florean - you were a lucky girl. You were even luckier if you got to go on a date with them!

"Seems like it," Pomona answered and silence befell the gossiping compartment for a moment until the door slid open and two heads popped into the carriage.

"I thought it was you three!" Euphemia exclaimed, for she had been the girl who had peeked through the window and Minnie squealed, jumping up and running over to embrace her best friend, who she hadn't seen for the entirety of summer- a whole six weeks.

Mia smiled as Minnie hugged her and she went on to pull a small blonde girl into the compartment with her, who was shying behind Euphemia.

Eugenia looked up curiously at the pretty first year who had just entered and looked at Mia questioningly, who held up a single finger to indicate one minute as she was being squeezed to death by an over enthusiastic Pomona.

Clover stood with her head bowed in the corner, not knowing these unfamiliar older girls and the usually loud girl felt rather shy around them and self conscious - despite everything that Mia had drilled into her about belonging, she felt very out of place here.

All the girls were reuniting and catching up with giggles and hugs punctuating their talk and it was a few minutes before Euphemia actually turned to Clover and introduced her.