Chapter 82 | A Lovers Quarrel

Two months had passed since Charlus' birthday and Mia and Charlus' picnic out by the lake and O.W.L.S. were approaching quickly, the exams creeping up on the fifth years like a dark shadow, looming over them as they all stressed, studied and swotted.

On the morning of the first exam, letters were being delivered by a variation of owls, more so than usual, to the majority of the fifth year students and the seventh years, as they were obviously also taking their N.E.W.T.S. at the same time, so that parents and guardians could pass on their regards and good luck messages.

''Ooh! Daddy has promised to buy me the brand new Cleansweep Five if I do well in all of my exams!'' Eugenia exclaimed in excitement, her face brightening as she glanced up from her letter that her father had written her.

''Oh, the life of a rich girl must be amazing,'' Alastor muttered to Minerva, who laughed in response as it was well known that the Jenkins family was extremely wealthy and that Eugenia received pretty much anything that she asked for from her parents.

''Eugenia, if you're so enthusiastic about flying and having the latest broomstick - why aren't you on the Gryffindor Quidditch team? I don't think I've ever seen you even try out,'' Brutus leant forward in curiosity, stirring his tea absentmindedly with a spoon.

''It's because she can't risk getting her nails dirty or, Merlin forbid, a single hair out of place,'' Lyall commented jokingly, teasing Eugenia gently who glared at him in response, punching him on the arm so that he almost dropped his own letter in his cereal.

''It's not that...it's just—'' Eugenia started to protest before realising that Lyall was probably right and she was subdued into silence as all of her friends around her descended into quiet laughter.

Charlus had been blocking out his friends' banter and conversations for the past few minutes due to being far too invested in his own letter from his parents which he had received that morning. It was probably a good idea as well because the sixteen year old was extremely nervous for the O.W.L.S.

Dear Charlus,
                            I just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you these next few weeks. O.W.L.S. are extremely important and myself and your father are sending all of our love and best wishes. Don't stress yourself out though, you can only do your best, sweetie.

Good luck, honey, work hard and just try your hardest in your exams - we'll love you no matter what grades you get. Unless they're Ts...if you get Ts, consider yourself officially disowned from this family. Just kidding...don't cry.

Olivia sends her love- she wanted me to tell you that you better be treating Mia like a lady because she can't wait to be a bridesmaid at your wedding (don't worry...I told her that she was being ridiculous - getting married at yours and Mia's age is actually insane, I would never even dream of such a young couple getting wed).

Anyway, she didn't listen to me and has now been spending the entire week trying on different dresses. Who ever said seven year olds were easy to mother? Exactly, no one. If your sister is like this now, at seven, I dread what she'll be like when she's a teenager...

I will also be writing to Rochelle to wish her luck in her end of term exams but I am focusing more on making sure you do well in YOUR exams - O.W.L.S. are very important and I don't want you to throw your life away, okay? Good luck, darling and send my love to Mia, I hope she does well too.

Lots of love and good luck,
                                                     Mum, Dad & Olivia x