Chapter 40 | Affections & Affilations

The Gryffindor fourth year boys' dormitory was always a chaotic, messy disgrace of a room: ties and dirty socks lay around the floor and no one was actually sure whom they belonged to; jumpers were slung and draped over the ends of the four poster beds; books and scraps of parchments were scattered across the floor and on desks and miscellaneous sweet wrappers and objects such as quills or plastic bottles had been shoved underneath chest of drawers or beds.

The scent of cologne and deodorant always lingered in the air as well as whatever the next concoction Charlus Potter was making with his potion supplies - the smell depended on how gross or pleasant his homemade substances were.

It was clear that the dormitory was lived in by boys, that was for sure, and it was a massive contrast to the neat and tidy fourth year girls dormitory on the other side of the tower.

Sunlight poured in through the slightly open curtains on an early Wednesday morning, about a week after Florean and Minerva had discovered Midnight the kitten and it was now the first week of October.

The boys in the Gryffindor dormitory were just waking up for the day - a series of alarm clocks had sounded through the room and a varied amount of groans and sighs echoed from behind all five four poster beds shortly after the alarm clocks had gone off.

Lyall Lupin was the type of boy that practically leaped out of bed as soon as his alarm clock went off and this morning was no different as he did exactly that.

He was just buttoning up his shirt when some of the other boys actually started stirring and getting up, including Alastor and Charlus, much to the unfortunate luck of the other sleeping boys as those two always made lots of noise in the morning.

Zachary and Edward, the remaining boys in the dormitory, both yelled at Alastor and Charlus to shut up as the two started singing a rendition of the muggle song Baby It's Cold Outside.

"I am trying to sleep," Edward called sleepily from behind his closed curtains on his four poster bed but Charlus and Alastor ignored him, dancing around the messy dormitory whilst getting changed, singing at the top of their voices, terribly out of tune but even Lyall was laughing at their antics.

"I really can't stay..." Charlus sang in a very high pitched feminine voice, a Gryffindor scarf wrapped around his head to indicate long hair.

"But baby it's cold outside..." Alastor responded, placing his arm around Charlus, who threw it off with a dramatic flourish, stalking off to the other end of the dormitory where a very disgruntled Zachary stood, not very impressed that he had had to get up because of the racket the two were making.

"I've got to go away," Charlus practically screeched and Lyall placed his hands over his ears whilst chuckling.

"But baby it's cold outside," Alastor sang back at him with a pout, running across the room to embrace Charlus, who turned his back on the blonde boy and flicked him in the face with the scarf that he still had wrapped around his neck and head.

"Ow! You could've taken my eye out!" Alastor exclaimed and Charlus laughed, throwing the scarf off and onto the already messy floor, adding to the piles of clothes lying randomly around the room.

"Aw...poor Al. Let Charlus kiss it better," Charlus cooed over Alastor, who had his hand covering his eye, wincing over-dramatically and making noises of fake pain.

"So when they aren't singing at the tops of their voices, they're being bloody dramatic," Edward muttered with a yawn gracing his words before he and Zachary both left the dormitory, grumbling about how on earth people could actually be that energetic and loud in the morning.