Chapter 37 | Second Chance

Dear Florean,
I have decided that it is time for the two of us to become matchmakers. Pomona informed me of what happened between Mia and Charlus in the corridor - apparently they were going to kiss but you two interrupted them?

That's utterly disgraceful behaviour, I have to say, as you stopped them but I forgive you. I know how much you want them to be together, you want it just as much as I do. Hence why I've decided to make you my partner in crime (P.S: you don't have a choice).

I have no idea what we are supposed to do to get them together but the sexual tension between the two of them is just too much. But I need you to keep an eye on Lyall as I'm getting crush vibes from him and that might spoil the entire operation. So your job, from September onwards, is to look out for Lyall and make sure he doesn't ruin it between Charlus and Mia. I love the guy but we can't afford for distractions at this point.

Love from, Minnie x

Dear Minnie,
                          Thank you for forgiving me - I will make sure to check what I'm interrupting next time before I barge in. I hope you've reprimanded Pomona though as well because she was involved too. It wasn't just me!

Anyway, I think your idea is great but I have an idea about Lyall. If he does like Mia then that would be a great way to make Charlus jealous and then Charlus would be more inclined to ask Mia out - boom, sorted.

Also, on a more serious note, I haven't had any letters from Mia since she was discharged and I know for a fact that she didn't go home to the Potters because Charlus was really bummed about it. So I was wondering whether you have had any letters or whether we need to go barge into that house and steal her away.

On that note, Mia's birthday is in three days! It's the 31st August, remember? Would it be classed as cheating if I got my dad to just make her some ice cream? She hasn't been to Diagon Alley to get her school equipment yet for next year so maybe we could surprise her? Spread the word, partner.

Love from, Florean.

P.S: What are your opinions on the homosexual community?

Florean sighed at his desk as he finished writing the letter to Minerva, leaning back in his chair and pinching the bridge of his nose as the noises of Diagon Alley echoed and clattered beneath him. He wasn't sure how to phrase it - after Mia, Minnie was probably the one he trusted the most with his secret which had been why he had asked her the question at the end. She's probably going to think I'm really weird for asking but oh well.

The bell ringing downstairs in the shop distracted him from his thoughts and he quickly jumped up, rolling up the letter before he changed his mind and quickly attaching it to his owl's leg, who he then shoved out of the window.

Florean buried his head in his hands - he had almost written to Minerva that he thought he liked both boys and girls but had realised how messed up it sounded so he had scrunched up the letter and thrown it in the bin with surprisingly good aim.

The pressure of working out exactly who he was was extremely pressurising and it was stressing Florean out day by day and had been for the past weeks of summer. Of course it didn't help that one of his best friends had been hospitalised because of her abusive family because that had just added to his stress levels even more and now Minnie was asking him to matchmake Charlus and Mia? As amusing as it would be and as much as Florean wanted them together, he would've preferred to let them work it out themselves.

"Florean, honey! There's someone here in the shop asking for you!" his mother's voice came through the door and Florean leaped up from his desk chair and flung open his bedroom door, nearly knocking his mum over in the process, who had a stack of laundry in her arms. "Bloody hell, sorry Mum!" he exclaimed and she reprimanded him for his language with a whack to his head with her wand which hurt a little.