Chapter 1: Surprise

The stinging aroma of chalk burned my nostrils. When the dust from our ancient textbooks invaded my eyes and nose, I grunted. Why did I have to have the oldest math teacher for 8th grade? Not to mention, Mrs. Ryder was also strict.

I glanced around the class, studying my fellow classmates. Most of them concealed their confusion and irritation, but I occasionally found students with their jaws dropped or furrowed eyebrows.

Her unconventional method of teaching seemed odd to every one of her pupils. It was the first day back into this horrifying place, and she already started our first lesson. We already had a seating chart, and she was the only teacher who was against whiteboards.

Whiteboards. Like seriously. She "preferred chalkboard because vintage was always the way to go." I rolled my eyes in disgust when she announced that we wouldn't use the iPads our school provided, but we would stick to our vandalised textbooks.

I had no interest in her lesson what so ever. My interest evoked when I darted my eyes to the abandoned seat beside me. I read the name sloppily engraved with cursive on the pink sticky note that was placed on the desk. Hayes Benjamin Grier.

You see Hayes and I go way back. We crossed paths at the same time when we slept with our teddy bears. The beginning of third grade. I guess since we were fond of one another, we grew to like each other. Or at least, I sparked an interest in him in fifth grade. He never fancied me, and I believe it was just my lady hormones twisting with my head.

"X equales what, Cara?" called Mrs. Ryder. I felt my face and my ears turn red. All my classmates stared at me, with their stagment eyes and I choked.

"Um, um.. 8?"

"Its nice to know, I have some students understanding this concept" Said Mrs. Ryder.

A wave a relief rushed over me, and I feel calm. The school bell filled my ears, followed by the sounds of shuffling feet, and backpack zippers. I guess its time to go to PE.

*Hayes POV*

I was captivated by Cara. Cara Acosta, everything about her lured me in her enchantment spell. Her perfume, her plump red lips that carved her elegant smile made me fly in over my head.

I've been craving her affection for the longest time. I desperately wanted her palm in mine. I dreamed of calling her "mine."

Gorgeous was an understatement

"BROO! HELLO? HAYES! C'MON BRO!" yelled Nash

I was consumed by my never ending thoughts of Cara.

"Oh sorry big bro, I'm just super tired," I lied.

"Well no need to worry, our next flight is North Carolina!"

"I get to see Cara... YES!" I thought to myself. I was screaming inside and bursting with happiness. I thew my hands in the air as a celebration. Yes yes yesssss!

I guess Nash saw right through me and teased "Thinking about Cara, aren't you?"

I turned red. Super red. "Um. Nah mann nah," Gosh was I transparent.

"HAYES LIKES A GIRL HAYES LIKES A GIRL" chanted Nash and Cameron. Their taunting voices made me grunt.

"Shut up guys" I spat.

The window of opportunity was wide and clear, almost as if it had a sign with scribbled handwriting spelling out "HAYES COME HERE!" It was calling me home, literally. The entire day consisted of a never ending smile intended on my skin. All I had to do was wait to see Cara, but in reality whenever I closed my crystal eyes I already saw her.