Chapter 5: Motionless

Hayes POV***

At lunch I noticed how phased Cara was, when she found out what I did.... I thought I screwed everything up, and considering we didn't have any classes together after lunch, I decided to find her after school.

I almost caught her when she was crossing the street. Almost.

That's when it hit me. Well, actually it hit her to be exact... A car hit her and I saw her go unconscious. I ran there as quick and fast as I could. I was out of breath as I reached her body lying on the concrete.

A tall and muscular teenage boy swung his car around, after he realized that he hit somebody.

I picked up Cara and screamed at the stupid teenager to call 911. He didn't want to. His breath smelled heavily of alcohol. I saw a cigarette pack hanging out of his pocket. He looked wasted with bulging eyes.

It was only 2:40 pm, why in the world was he wasted at this time of day?

"Fine you idiot I'll call it!" I yanked out my phone. Teachers, parents, and students were rushing across the street to help out.

Next thing I know, I'm in the back of an ambulance truck with my girlfriend..
*********
You know what's really shocking? Eye opening? Sitting in a suffocating truck, clutching onto your girlfriend's fragile hand. Seeing that she's still has this rare beauty. Even if there are random strands of wavy sun kissed hair covering her beautiful features, she's still breath taking.

However I can't adore a girl, when she's moaning in pain. Continuously grunting while she laid on that white bed. Her hand clutched mine, as she whimpered and scrunched her eyebrows together.

"Thank you," she said before she sunk her nails into my skin.

I've known her since we were in third grade. I'm fourteen now, and we're on our way to the hospital. This happened in less than an hour.

Although witnessing her hurt, abused, and me unkowning of what will occur once we get into the hospital, I have to believe she won't be in crucial condition.

When we got to urgent care, I stayed by Cara's bedside until her mom came.

"OH MY GOSH, CARA...." Her mom said as she teared up.

The bright side of this, is that I'd get bonus points on her mom's side since I saved her. But still. I hoped my angel was still okay.

Cara broke her wrist and arm, and she fractured her ribs. She had bruises along her legs, my poor baby looked helpless.

I stayed until her mom told me to leave.

"Thank you for watching over my little baby girl, Hayes." She said as she led me to the hospital exit.

"No problem, Mrs. Acosta" I said as we shook hands.

"Hayes, I've known you since you we're in 3rd grade.... You can call me, Lacey"

She smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you for saving her. Thank you." she whispered as she cried.

I felt a tear go down my cheek. Cara meant a lot to me. She's my other half and if there's anything in this worlds that keeping me going, its her.

"Don't worry, Lacey. I know she'll make it."

But little did I know that.... She would be in a coma for a week.

7 days. 7 miserable days. I can't hug her, kiss her or tell her how beautiful she is. I just miss her.

It was my fault anyways. I distracted her. My mistake disturbed her. Now, she's in a hospital room hooked up to machine, all because of my mistake.

My fault.

********

Word got out Cara fell into a coma. A bunch of girls tried to take advantage of that. But I didn't budge. Cara is the only girl I have eyes for.

I reconnected with my football teammates. I can't lie, it feels good to be in a group rather than being alone with only your girlfriend by your side.

Everyday, I visit Cara's hospital room. #508, 5th floor, 7 rooms to the left. I had it memorized. As I walk in, I see her. Looking helpless. Guilt is all I feel. But Cara is still breathtaking in a hospital gown, with bruises up and down her fractured body, and her arm in a suspended cast.

Gorgeous.

When she wakes up, I want her to be spoiled. I brought her gifts every time I visit. So far there's a teddy bear, a shirt I made with a picture of us on it, cards from everyone saying "get well soon" and ballons.

When its time for me to go, I see Veronica, Blaire and Claire enter her chamber. They brought teddy bears and stuffed animals..

Veronica's POV

A week. A miserable week. I didn't have my best friend by side and it hurt like hell. Our gang decided to pay her a visit, since we all felt like a piece of us was missing. Cara brought us together. Blaire, Claire and I gotten so close to each other. Cara gave me friends. Caring, loving and kind friends.

Now she's disappeared. Slipped into a coma, no longer able to see or talk to us. It makes me depressed.

Things are so unfulfilling without Cara, we all agree she brings happiness and laughter to our group.

I see how badly she was hurt. Guess who cries at that moment? No one. We all stand in shock. Until Claire let's a single tear drop fall. Then Blaire lets a couple brust out. Finally, I ball out in tears.

Out of all people, why would Cara be the one? She was the most innocent and sweetest of us all.

We leave with red strained eyes and numb lips. No words could describe how sad it was to her like that.

The car ride home with my parents was silent. Nobody said a word, and I wondered how much longer Cara would be gone.