33

Rose

It's been three days since I found out, since I realized, I had been played. For weeks and weeks, I let myself fall in love with a boy, just to be kicked to the curb, again. Monday morning hit me hard, I could hardly get up, my eyes dry and sore. I knew I would have to face Emily, praying she's bruised, that will make me feel a little bit better.

"Rose, can I have a word?" My boss Mrs Todd approaches my desk, her face gentle as I slowly nod. I follow her through the office, my eyes catch Emily's. Her make up over done to cover up a couple of dark purple bruises, I smile to myself as I follow Mrs Todd into the meeting room.
"Take a seat Rose." She gestures to the blinding white chair on the opposite side of the large table where she is sitting.

"Is something wrong?" I ask slowly, my nerves starting to rise. Am I in trouble?

"I am concerned your relationship with Miss Cooper will ruin your chances at succeeding here at Fallon." She holds both her hands out, interlocking her fingers together.

"No! Of course not!" I snap at her, my voice panicked. God I'm going to kill Emily.

"Good, because from what I've heard around the office is that you attacked her outside of a club last Friday night." She looks at me fiercely, I relax my shoulders. Playing with my thumb nails, I try to think of anything, anything that will help my situation.

"There have been some issues between us outside of work, but I won't let anything like this happen again." I look up at her, trying not to think too hard about Friday night.

"You are a great girl Rose, please don't let your personal life get in the way of your work, I will let this slide, but please be more careful next time." She leans back in her chair before standing up, I nod my head as I follow her out of the office. Back at my desk I try my god damn hardest not to slam my head against the wooden table.

"Rough day sweetie?" Her sickly-sweet voice ruining my mood even more, imagining terrible things I could do to her right now If I wasn't at work.

"Piss off Emily." I growl, not raising my head as I go through my paperwork. Trying not imagine her standing in front of me, smiling her perfect smile. Did Mrs Todd question her too? Couldn't people see she was the one provoking me? I've been ignoring her for weeks.

"Someone's touchy, things not going well?" I clench my fists, trying so hard not to snap, I can't ruin my career because this psycho has no brain filter.

I watch the time on my computer hit five thirty, I leap up, picking my bag up off the floor, pulling my coat on and shutting down my computer all whilst she stands there watching me, amused.

"You deserved everything you got." I hear her as I walk through the office, I squeeze my eyes shut as I run out. I need to get far away from her before I lose my job, if I didn't care so much about my career, I'd probably staple her mouth shut. Literally.

Opening the glass doors my heart drops, my eyes brim with tears. He isn't there, in his usual space leaning against his car. Warm tears trickling down my face as I stand frozen, wishing to god that none of this ever happened, that we were happy. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, it never is, is it?

I wrap myself up in my duvet, coffee on the bedside table, my fluffy socks warming my feet up. My earphones plugged in and my volume on full blast as I bury myself deep into my bed and cushions, trying to block out any negative thoughts that have come since meeting Luca.

Now that I think about it, every bad thing that has happened in the last two months, is because of him. Now works questioning me, Emily's going to make this hell for me, I know it. Browsing through my Spotify I click on one of my favourite songs, I close my eyes wrapping my body like a cocoon. James Arthurs 'Let me love the lonely' plays through my earphones. Listening to the song never had so much meaning until now. I can't help but think of him, of Luca. I opened up to him, I let him in.