Ch. 2 Champions

I woke up early the next day slipping my uniform on before I headed down to the common room where I found Harry and Ron talking. Their conversation stopped once they noticed me standing there.

"Morning Harry," I said politely as he smiled at me.

"Hey Ashley," Harry said moving over so I could sit with them.

"What are you guys talking about?" I asked softly as Harry's eyes darted to Ron before he calmed down.

"We were talking about our classes," Harry said though I instantly knew he was lying but didn't call him on it.

"What classes do you enjoy the most?" I asked instead of what I really wanted to know.

"Defense against the dark arts is by far the best class here," Harry said as I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. His answer was predictable and boring.

"I'm excited for charms class," I said as Ron stared at me.

"At least you aren't looking forward to potions. The professor is horrible to Gryffindors," Ron said.

"I'm sure Professor Snape isn't that bad," I said feeling protective of the serious professor. I had enjoyed Snape's company as a child.

"You have no idea. He grilled Harry on day one and took points from Gryffindor!" Ron exclaimed as I sighed. I didn't want to fight with Ron about Snape.

"Who wants to watch people put their name into the Goblet?" I asked getting to my feet.

"We'll go with you," Harry said following me toward the portrait hole. I stepped out walking down the corridor and into the busy room where the flames from the Goblet lit the room up. I sat on the floor with my back against the wall with Harry beside me. I watched as student after student put their names in.

"Who do you think will get it?" I asked as Ron laughed.

"Well Victor Krum is the obvious choice from Durmstrang," Ron said with a fan like grin on his face. "I'm not sure about the other schools though."

"You are in love with Victor," I teased as Ron glared at me. Harry draped his arm around me as we continued to watch students put their names in. My lips parted as Fred and George waltzed in after drinking a potion. I rolled my eyes. "You guys are morons if you think my father didn't account for a simple potion."

"But that's why it will work little Dumbledore," Fred said before the stepped over the age line. I knew what would happen to them. My father explained the age line to me when he created it. The twins tossed their names in celebrating until they were both blasted back with white beards appearing on their faces. I giggled as they sprinted out of the room.

"I warned them," I said as Ron and Harry laughed with me. The more time I spent around Harry the less I hated him. He wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Ron got to his feet looking at Harry and me.

"You guys hungry?" He asked as I shook my head.

"You go without us," Harry said as Ron spun walking out of the room. "So Ashley, I was wondering if you would like to go out with me sometime?" Harry blurted causing my eyes to widen. I knew I didn't hate Harry anymore but could we be more than friends? I took a deep breath before giving a small nod. "I have to run to class but I'll see you later."

"Bye Harry," I said as he got up rushing to his class. The rest of the day was a blur for me until dinner where the champions were to be announced. I sat beside Harry as papers flew out of the fire. The champions were Krum, Diggory and Delacour. I thought it was over until another name flashed out of the Goblet.

"Harry Potter," my father's voice rang out across the hall. I saw hateful eyes fall onto Harry while he sat there frozen in shock. I gave him a push causing him to walk to my father ignoring the comments made by our classmates. The champions were led from the hall my father close behind them. He paused on his way from the room to give me a disapproving glance. Tears filled my eyes, he couldn't possibly blame me for this. Harry shouldn't have been able to enter. I got to my feet running through the halls to where the champions were. I burst into the room to see everyone arguing while Harry sat there helplessly.

"Harry," I whispered wrapping my arms around him. His hand instantly pushed me away.

"I don't want to enter sir," Harry said while Mr. Crouch frowned.

"I'm sorry but you must compete in the Triwizard Tournament," he muttered as I gripped Harry's arm.

"I'll help you as best I can," I whispered to him. I knew almost as much as the 17 year olds he was competing against. Magic came naturally to me to the point my father had to enroll me in Hogwarts no matter how much he didn't want to. The room cleared out rather quickly after Mr. Crouch's decision. I was the only one who stayed with Harry. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Fine," he snapped. I disregarded his anger knowing he wasn't mad at me but the situation he was now in.

"I promise I will fix this somehow," I said as he stood up. Suddenly his lips crashed against mine, the kiss wasn't enjoyable and felt forced but I pushed the doubts to the back of my mind as I relaxed into the kiss. If my father wanted me with Harry I was going to date him, spark or no spark.