Ch. 40 True House

The hat rested on my head before the voice filled my mind once more. The room was silent the only sound was the breathing students who were staring at me. I was the first of anyone to be re-sorted without the hat calling for a house shake up. I opened my dark eyes as the hat began to speak to me in my head. "Ah miss Dumbledore or as it appears Miss Riddle now. You know your true heritage now. You have done well considering the nature of your first sorting. You just as I knew are just like your parents though you have a hint of Minerva with your fiery stubborn streak. You have never been a tuff sort and though I pride myself on a good sorting the first time this time is different. You, Miss Riddle, do not belong in Gryffindor house. You belong in Slytherin" the hat called out. Everyone in the great hall had been waiting anxiously to see what would happen. Another moment of silence spread through the air as the hat's proclamation sunk in and the all of Slytherin cheered. I jumped up from the stool and my uniform changed from red and gold to green and silver and I'd never felt happier. I took a glance at McGonagall who gave me a reassuring smile and even though she had disappointment in her eyes I also saw pride, she was proud I stood up in front of the school to fight for my right to be sorted properly. My attention turned back to the Slytherins as I rushed over to the Slytherin table which was screaming and I threw my arms around Dray.

"The heir has returned," he whispered in my ear as I smiled at him before I felt a tug on my hand. I looked over to see Kate. I bent down hugging her before taking my seat in between Draco and Kate. I sat at my true table with eyes lingering on me. I ignored the stares and ate the food before I headed to Snape's office where he allowed me to visit my parents momentarily to inform them of my house.

"You have one hour," he drawled as I smiled.

"Thank you Headmaster," I said stressing the word headmaster. A small barely detectable smirk twitched in the corner of the stern Professor's mouth.

"Send my regards to your father," Snape said as I nodded. I had made sure to change my outfit before I left the school. I was in one of my nice black gowns as I stepped into the fireplace. I flooed to Malfoy Manor where I found my mom and dad in a discussion about locating Harry.

"I'm home," I said as their heads snapped over to me. "And I'm a Slytherin!" My mother's face went from blank to sparkling as she pulled me into her arms. My father's dark eyes filled with pride as he looked at me.

"I knew you would be a Slytherin," my father said as I grinned.

"Do you know of the Thrush family?" I asked after a moment.

"Yes, they are supporters of the order," my mother said after a moment.

"Their daughter Kate, she's under my protection, make the others aware," I said firmly as my mother looked at me slightly confused.

"Why may I ask?" She asked softly.

"She was sorted into Slytherin but even before that she was scared and clung to me like she would die any second. I promised to take care of her regardless of house loyalties. There was something about her that reminded me of myself. She is most likely going to get a Howler tomorrow," I said softly. "She was ordered to get Gryffindor but I told her to let the hat place her in the house she was supposed to be in."

"We will send word," my father said firmly. "You did a good thing Natasha. She's just a child and children shouldn't have the kind of pressure you had growing up."

"Thanks dad," I said with a smile. "I should head back but Snape sends his regards."

"Bye baby," my mom said pressing her lips to my forehead. I hugged my father tightly before Flooing ack to Hogwarts. I stepped out of the fireplace changing my outfit into my Hogwarts uniform before heading to my new common room. I entered to find the new first years talking to each other all of the except Kate. I walked over to her standing next to her.

"What's up Katie?" I asked her blue eyes snapping over to me.

"Tasha!" She grinned moving over motioning for me to sit next to her. My face turned serious as I looked at her.

"You know who I am don't you," I muttered as she nodded.

"My parents are scared of you," she whispered as I gave her a weak smile. I took her hand in mine gently.

"Are you scared of me?" I asked as she shook her head.

"You aren't mean like they said," she murmured as I let out a small laugh.

"I saw my parents today and I asked them to watch out for you. I don't want you getting caught up in the battle I know is coming. I want you to be a child for as long as possible because I didn't get that option," I whispered as tears brimmed my eyes but didn't escape. "I want you to tell me if you need anything because even though I can't fully explain why, I care for you Katie."

"I love you Tasha," she said throwing her small arms around my waist. I smiled as the girl taking her into my arms. I kissed the top of her head not caring about the other Slytherins looking at us with curiosity.

"I think it's time for bed," I said to her. She pulled away before getting up.

"Will you tuck me in?" She asked as I smiled taking her hand. I set her on the bed pulling the covers over her.

"I'll see you in the morning. If you have a nightmare my room is right across the hall. I'm the Heir of Slytherin so I have my own room," I said brushing her coppery curls from her face. I got to my feet heading for the door.

"Thank you," she said causing me to pause and look back at her. "For helping me. I don't care what people say, you're nice."

"Thanks Katie," I said with a soft smile before I turned away from her exiting the room. I found I had grown attached to the girl more than I should, she felt like a daughter to me and even I couldn't deny it.