Ch. 3 Skip to Yule Ball

Months passed and Harry was doing well in the tournament. He kept up with wizards far more trained than him. Harry had asked me to the Yule Ball and that meant finding a dress that looked pretty. I needed a trip to Hogsmead to find the perfect dress. I left with a bunch of girls from Hogwarts to Hogsmead. I walked through the snow my feet crunching against the frozen ground. I stepped into a dress shop digging through the outfits. I tried on so many dresses but none of the felt right until I found a stunning silk black gown. The dress was long with slits up each side and a plunging neckline. I paid the store lady watching as she boxed the gown up.

"Are you sure you want the gown?" The store lady asked softly.

"Why wouldn't I want the dress?" I questioned as she stared at me.

"The dress was initially made for Bellatrix Lestrange before she went to Azkaban," the lady said. My lips parted in shock but I didn't change my mind. I loved the dress and I didn't care if Bellatrix liked the gown or not.

"Thanks for the dress," I said holding the box in my arms taking the long ride back to Hogwarts. I rushed upstairs to get ready for the ball which started in a few hours. I had procrastinated so long I barely had time to get ready. I had the dress on with black stilettos and my hair swept into an elegant updo. I applied smokey eyeshadow with lots of mascara. I kept my lips more neutral looking but still had lipstick on. I looked in the mirror taking a shaky breath. "You can love him." I whispered to myself before walking out of the dorms and to the portrait hole. A few boys in the common room stared as I passed through the room. I reached the stairs walking toward Harry. He smiled offering me his arm which I took.

"You look beautiful," Harry said as I grinned.

"Thank you," I said as we lined up to process into the Ballroom.

"Oh Ashley, you look stunning," Mcgonagall said as she walked over to us.

"Thanks Professor," normally I'd call her Minerva but during the year I had to be formal with her.

"Time for the dance," she said as panic filled Harry's eyes.

"Don't worry. I'll help," I reassured him as the four couples strode into the room. Harry gripped my waist as we glided across the floor. Harry was clumsy but I controlled our movements just enough so no one noticed. I swayed in Harry's arms relaxed and calm until I found myself inside his mind without trying.

I wish I could have come with Cho. If only Dumbledore didn't request I watch Ashley. I don't even like her, she's annoying! My lips parted in disbelief. I heard his thoughts and he hated me. Our entire relationship was a lie created by my father. I stepped out of Harry's arms as he looked at me in confusion. Tears streaked down my cheeks as I sprinted out of the room. I ran through the castle not stopping until I stood in the astronomy tower. I broke down sobbing over a boy. I cried for the pain my father caused. Why would my father force us together when we never liked each other. What was he so afraid of?

"Dumbledore," Malfoy's voice hit my ears as he stood beside me. "Are you alright?" Concern laced his words. I turned my teary blue eyes toward him as I shook my head.

"My father forced Harry to date me and he doesn't even like me," I said my voice cracking as I spoke. Malfoy analyzed my words before speaking.

"He's a bloody idiot if he doesn't like you. You care for those you love so deeply you would give your life for their's" he said firmly wiping the tears off my cheeks. "Show him what he is missing Ashley." I gave a small laugh as I threw my arms around Draco. I never understood what was so bad about Malfoy, he was kind.

"Thanks Draco," I said softly as I reigned in my overbearing emotions finding my strength.

"I'm here if you have any problems," Draco said as I smiled.

"You're a good friend Dray," I said firmly as he smiled at me.

"So are you Dumbledore," he said as I rested my head on his shoulder as we gazed out at the night sky together.

"Way better than the Yule Ball," I said firmly as Draco laughed.

"Yeah it is," he said his arm around my waist.

"I should probably go dump Harry," I said after a few minutes.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Draco asked but I shook my head.

"I need to handle this on my own," I said firmly as I slipped from Draco's arms. I walked calmly and slowly back to the Yule Ball. I found Harry and Ron sitting alone at the table. I headed straight to Harry who jumped to his feet. My hand flashed out dragging across his cheek with a loud smack. He cupped his cheek as I glared at him. "We are done! You can finally be with Cho."

"No I love you," Harry said as I my gaze hardened.

"No you don't, you never did. My father made you do this and for that reason we are finished Harry," I snapped harshly as he stayed quiet. He didn't try to stop me as I walked out of the ballroom with everyone staring at us. In this moment I didn't care if anyone saw our fight I just wanted him to pay for the pain he inflicted on me.