Ch. 21 The Start of Something New

Kyle and I stayed up late that night looking through books. We still had nothing to show for our efforts. I yawned as Kyle glanced over at me.

"You should probably get some rest," he said as I sighed. I didn't want to rest but knew I needed it.

"Alright. Kyle, I see no sense in you leaving so late at night, why don't you just stay in another guest room for the night," I said softly. He gave me a look before nodding.

"Okay but if anything comes up don't hesitate to get me," he said and I nodded. We walked our separate ways into our rooms. I flopped face first on the bed before I curled up under the covers allowing the sleep the consume me.

I woke the next day getting dressed in black skinny jeans and a white loose shirt. I walked downstairs where I found Kyle in the kitchen. My mouth dropped while he cooked breakfast. Usually we just ask the house elves to make breakfast.

"Hey," I said leaning against the counter.

"Hello Princess," he said pausing his cooking to glance over at me. "Sleep well?"

"Yes actually," I said as he started to dish up the pancakes. He handed me a plate and I wasted no time eating. I sat across from Kyle eating the food. "So you cook."

"That I do. I prefer control over the food rather than trusting house elves. There's nothing wrong with house elves but I have high standards and it would be unfair to expect them to meet them," he said as I raised an eyebrow.

"I never pegged you as a person who would be a chef at heart," I said smiling. "But then again I don't know much about you."

"What would you like to know princess?" He asked with a small laugh.

"What is your family like?" I asked him as his smile faded. "You don't have to tell me Kyle."

"It's okay it's just hard for me to talk about," he said softly. "I grew up in an orphanage. I never had a family until I met your father and then my fellow death eaters became that."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know," I said.

"Don't worry. My life is good now. The funny thing is once I became a death eater your father actually told me about the parents I thought abandoned me. They died fighting the order," he said simply while I looked at him sadly.

"Sometimes I think the only thing the order does is destroy families," I said with anger radiating off my body. "First you then me."

"That's why I would never betray your father. He cares about his people. He broke most of us from Azkaban not because he needed us but because he felt he owed us," Kyle said to me. "Your father is a good guy. Very honorable despite his dark reputation."

"Yeah," I said simply. "As long as you are close he can be the sweetest but for those he doesn't know he can be harsh."

"That is true," he said as we both finished up the food. I grabbed his plate while he began to protest.

"No Kyle. You made food so I'll clean up," I told him with a grin. I quickly rinsed the dishes before walking over to Kyle.

"What's the plan today?" He asked while I looked at him for a moment. I wanted to do some more research but decided to instead do something fun.

"Let's chill outside for a bit," I said leading Kyle into the garden.

"Do you come out here a lot?" He asked watching as my fingers ran across the flowers as we walked through the garden.

"I come here when I need to think, to breathe," I said softly not looking away from the white roses.

"I can see why you would," Kyle said coming to a stop beside me. Kyle touched a flower pulling it from the bush. "For you." He said as I faced him my lips parted slightly as I took the beautiful rose Kyle held out to me.

"It's beautiful," I managed to say my eyes meeting his.

"That's why I gave it to you," he said causing my cheeks to flush. A warmth spread across my body when Kyle's fingertips brushed my hand.

"Thank you," I whispered not trusting my voice to be steady if I spoke louder. I couldn't deny the attraction I had started to form with Kyle. I never felt this way about a single person before, not even when I was dating Harry. Kyle began to walk away from me looking at more flowers while I stared after him. His short dark hair moved in the gentle breeze of the day as he continued to gaze at the roses. I forced myself to look away knowing I couldn't love him just as he couldn't love me. I knew his words came from a place of friendship but I longed to hear him profess his care for me. I wasn't sure what I was feeling but I knew I never wanted Kyle to leave my side, ever.

"Natasha, your father is calling a meeting and he wishes you to attend," my aunt yelled out the back door. My head whipped around to face her as Kyle followed me. I headed inside and straight to my room finding a stunning white silk gown. The dress touched the floor and had a slit up the left side showing off my leg. The plunging neckline showed just enough skin that I felt sexy but my parents wouldn't get irritated by it. I took one last look in the mirror before I exited the room to find Kyle there waiting for me. He offered me his arm which I took allowing him to escort me into the meeting.

"Good evening. I am sure you are wondering why I have assembled you tonight," my father began while I stood with Kyle. "Dumbledore has declared war and so we can no longer play hide and seek. We must attack him and soon."