Ch. 19 Home but Lost

I woke the next day to a stillness. I crept out of my room realizing it was the middle of the night. I didn't care. I had slept a lot and now I needed to try and move forward with my life. I went into the kitchen grabbing a glass of water. I stared out the window picturing the life I had before, a life of love, laughter and pain. Powers or not my life was still filled with the kindest of people and the cruelest; my magic couldn't change that fact ever. I set the cup down wondering what Dumbledore was doing at this very moment. Was he planning to hurt me or did he feel guilt over what he had done. I couldn't help the small part of me the hoped he felt guilty even though my logical side knew he never would feel that for he never loved me.

I took a break looking at Silvie who was still wrapped around my hand before I decided to go into the garden. I sat on a bench in the middle of the garden allowing the calmness of the garden to replace the sadness I had been feeling. I shut my eyes basking in the moonlight.

"You cannot hide from me little Ashley," Dumbledore's voice echoed in my head. My eyes flew open instantly as my lips parted and my breath hitched.

"Why do you insist on destroying everything I have. You have my magic, is that not enough?" I questioned him with a fire blazing inside me.

"Nothing will ever be enough. You were born in darkness and will always belong to the darkness. I was foolish to think I could save someone born of hatred," Dumbledore's voice said as anger boiled in my chest. I took a shaky breath trying to stop the anger from controlling me like it used to.

"The only hatred I know right now comes from you. You hated me so much you took the one thing about myself that made me special. You took my magic from me and I can't and won't ever forgive you for that," I spat back with anger inside me.

"You may be powerless but you are still of use to me. I will come and you will return with me or I will kill you on sight," Dumbledore's voice said in my head. I froze at the harsh tone in his voice. I looked back towards the manor with teary eyes. He would either hurt me or hurt them. Could I risk staying here when that puts them at risk? I looked at the snake coiled around my hand trying to figure out what exactly to do. If I left my parents would be hurt emotionally but at least they would be physically fine. Was physical pain worth sparing the emotionally? I knew the answer because it was the same choice I would make and so I went into the house instantly rushing to my parents' room.

"Mom," I said shaking her awake. Her eyes flew open as her eyes found my terrified face. She gripped her wand getting to her feet pressing on her dark mark.

"Baby, what is it?" She asked softly as I told her about Dumbledore entering my mind while we waited for my father to return from wherever he was.

"He told me that if I don't leave when he gets here he will kill me. I don't care if I die but I don't want anyone else hurt," I told her as she tightened her hold on me.

"I can't let him take you Baby," she said with fear in her voice.

"I know that's why I told you. If I just wanted to save you from physical risk I would have left the house immediately but instead I came in here to tell you," I said as my father rushed into the room. He didn't need to be told anything for he got the information from my mind.

"He has the audacity to threaten us?" My father said his voice edged with anger.

"Clearly," My mother said softly.

"Natasha. I will have round the clock protection in the manor for you. I'll make sure it is my best but people you aren't close to," my father said as I nodded. I knew he didn't want me to protect the people meant to guard me.

"I have no idea when he will come but I know he won't come alone. He will fight with everything he has and if he is losing the last thing he will do is take me out," I muttered softly. My mother took a sharp breath at my statement while my mother and father looked at each other.

"We can't wait for Draco any longer. That man needs to be taken out now," my mother said firmly while my father looked grim.

"Unfortunately without Natasha's magical assistance we have no choice but to hope that young Malfoy will fix the cabinet as no one else can," my father said as my mom pinched her nose in frustration.

"Mom worst case scenario and Dumbledore shows up we can kill him here," I told her softly as I could see her irritation that we allowed Draco to try to fix the cabinet. "Now I think we should try and move on with life as normal as possible. There isn't a reason to dwell on the unknowns that continue to grow the longer this war goes on."

"Natasha is right Bellatrix. We must maintain the per usual structure to show Dumbledore how little his threats affect us," my father said as my mom sighed but reluctantly agreed. I gave her a forced smile trying to take my own advice though I knew I most likely wouldn't be able to. Dumbledore was coming and I would never know until the moment he arrived.